Running, injury, depression, motivation....

Options
brightresolve
brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
I love to run, and I sometimes have issues that stop me, from knee pain to long work days to hubs and running buddy not feeling well. Once I get stopped from the running or exercise routine it's so hard to get back on the bus. Glad I found this group to remind me that my anxiety and low mood will be helped as well.

So, what do you tell yourself to get yourself out the door on a particularly tough day?

Replies

• Pickwick_The_Dodo
    Pickwick_The_Dodo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Training regularly comes easy - it's the getting started which is really difficult.

For me, I break it down into tiny steps. Teeny tiny steps. If I'm even thinking of going for a run, I'll put on my running tights. No pressure to run, just wearing the tights. Then I'll change into my run bra & vest. Still no pressure, I'm not going for run, I'm just wearing comfy clothes. Then I'll put my trainers on.

Then I'll go outside. Maybe I'll walk to the corner of the street. Well. I'm outside now. I could run to the next junction. I'm halfway to the nice river path, it'd be nice to see the ducklings. Oh I'm at the river, a few minutes along the river will be nice. Oh I've ran 1.5miles already, I might as well head back home now and that's a 3 mile run done for the day.

Basically, I try not to think of it as one huge task - running. Instead, lots of little things, there's no pressure at each juncture to continue if I really really can't.. but I usually find that I can. And once I'm out, it's easier to keep going.

And hey, if I don't make it far/out the door, at least I tried. I didn't sit on the couch moaning about the fact I should go for a run. I at least took steps towards it, and next time I can try to go that one bit further.
  • brightresolve
    Options
    I went out for a run yesterday evening, in the wind, and it was really hard but I set myself up so that I ran to the meeting point, he drove there, we ran, we drove home. That little bit of goal was enough to get me going. It was the best run I'd had in a couple of weeks in spite of the wind.

Thanks for the insight above!
  • brightresolve
    Options
    Ooh and he found some pretty running singlets online and they came yesterday and they look nice, so that helped LOL