Hypothyroidism and the Apple

Options
I discovered this year that I had developed hypothyroidism. Over the course of 9 months, I gained 51 lbs and nearly 20 inches in my waistline while LOSING fat in my thighs. I tried for 2 years before learning of my condition to lose the weight I was steadily gaining and all my efforts did nothing more than slow it down and eventually plateau, but not a single pound was shed. The weight gain came with no change in diet or exercise or stress levels. My body just seemed to have a mind of its own. I went from a flat tummy to looking 9 months pregnant. My shoulders were broad and thick like a linebacker, my face was bloated and a second chin appeared out of nowhere. My eyes became tiny, horizontal slits due to swollen eyelids and very puffy undereyes. It took a year and 3 doctors to finally find one who would listen to me and stop telling me, "That's normal for a woman your age. Just exercise more and improve your diet." I couldn't walk up the stairs in my house without sitting down to rest because I was so winded. Then I finally met a doctor that listened to me. He did a thyroid panel and my T4 levels were 1/5 of my T3. A healthy functioning metabolism should have equal parts T4 and T3. The higher the numbers, the higher the metabolism.

My doctor told me without hormone therapy, I was never going to get down to a healthy weight, and my weight was pushing my blood pressure up to 220/150. Hypothyroidism also causes high cholesterol. Mine was 356. It causes weight gain in the abdomen, upper body and face. Basically, it creates an apple shape where one may not have existed before.

Since starting on hormone replacements, I finally can see a payoff for the healthy diet and moderate exercise I've been doing and the frustrating depression of trying so hard and never getting anywhere went away.

Has anyone else had labwork done to see if they face a similar challenge?