Lack of energy 2 weeks in

ketobucko
ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
Hi everyone
This is the 1st time I’ve done Keto and I must admit I’m loving it apart from everyday around mid afternoon I always seem to feel really sluggish and lack any real energy,I go out with my wife & kids most afternoons walking our dog and it’s just an absolute struggle by the time I’ve dragged myself home I feel like collapsing could this be something as simple as I’m not getting enough salt/sodium,I’m currently getting about 2300 mg a day according to my daily food diary,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Cheers Ben

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    That's probably it. Many keto'ers find they need at least 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium. That's roughly double your intake.

For reference, 2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt. Try salting food more, drink a couple of salty cups of broth or boullion, take salt tablets, make a salty "keto-ade" using Mio, or just eat a half teaspoon of salt with a water chaser.

If low sodium is the problem, you'll probably feel better within a couple of days.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    ketobucko wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    This is the 1st time I’ve done Keto and I must admit I’m loving it apart from everyday around mid afternoon I always seem to feel really sluggish and lack any real energy,I go out with my wife & kids most afternoons walking our dog and it’s just an absolute struggle by the time I’ve dragged myself home I feel like collapsing could this be something as simple as I’m not getting enough salt/sodium,I’m currently getting about 2300 mg a day according to my daily food diary,
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers Ben

Yes. If you have no medical reason not to, up your sodium. What I most frequently see suggested is 3000-5000 mg/per day. I carry boullion cubes in my backpack, glove compartment and purse. I most frequently need them when I am out on a health walk on a hot summer day and forgot to take ~1000 mg before I left. "Legs like lead" is my 1st sign of Oh, I forgot to get some salt in me.
  • ketobucko
    ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
    Thankyou both I really appreciate your advice,I’ll go for the middle ground then and up to 4000 mg see how I go with that,thanks again