June 11 Weekly Challenge: Lots of Squats

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited June 2018 in Social Groups
Our exercise challenge this week is squats. Bluntly, I know very little about squats, but I do know they’re an important tool in our exercise toolbox. Fortunately, my good friend Jen is a certified personal trainer and health coach and Jen has agreed to help craft our squats challenge. I greatly appreciate Jen’s willingness to share her expertise with us.

Jen has created this week’s challenge specifically for us. Whether you are a new to squats or have been doing them for quite some time, the exercises below are geared to each proficiency level and will help you maintain the muscle strength needed to do the essential tasks you do every day.

________________________________________________________________________________

Jen’s Bio:

JENNIFER STURM is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach; a certified Life, Health & Fitness Coach; a certified Ageless Grace® Educator and an NASM Certified Personal Trainer with specialties in Orthopedic Exercise, Women’s & Senior Fitness. You can find her at her website: GetWithItForLife.com

_________________________________________________________________________________

Theme: Exercise and Movement
Challenge: Lots of Squats!

Squats are not just an exercise; the Squat is a basic body movement. Squats work the two biggest muscle groups in your body: the glutes and the quads. Squats also help build lower back strength and develop core strength and stabilization. Squats are a functional exercise in that they aid your ability to live a full, healthy life. Anything from getting out of a chair, to squatting down to pick something off the floor requires squat strength. Especially as we get older, proper squat technique is critical to maintain health and longevity. As a compound movement, Squats build lean muscle mass, increase metabolism and bone density and boost your overall health and fitness.

This Week’s Challenge:

1. Please read Jen’s blog post:
https://getwithitforlife.com/2017/06/19/why-squats-should-be-in-your-life/

(I highly recommend subscribing to Jen’s blog. It’s informative, well-researched, and fun to read! You can subscribe to her “Coffee With Jen” blog series here: https://getwithitforlife.com/ )

2. Then select the squat exercises most appropriate for you:

Beginner Level: Box Squat (See demo video below)

Intermediate Level: Bodyweight Squat (See demo video below)

Advanced Level: Goblet Squat (See demo video below)

Number of Squats:
Aim to do 10 squats three times a day OR 15 squats twice a day. Look for opportunities where squats can fit into your daily routine. Such as:
• Brushing your teeth
• Washing dishes
• Getting a drink of water
• Restroom breaks
• Standing in line
• Before getting into bed
• Right after you get up

Squats can work into anyone’s schedule. Let’s make squats a daily habit!

Please let us know how it goes for you this week. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress and I know others are too. We can all learn from each other.

Programming Note: Summer of Sleep: Our sleep challenge last week had quite a lot of participants and since good sleep is such an important healthy habit, we are going to continue this challenge all summer long! If you’d like to participate, here’s the link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10671769/summer-of-sleep

Make it a great week!

Replies

• themedalist
    edited June 2018
    Options

Beginner Level: Box Squat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YRmghGLu2ZQ

Intermediate Level: Bodyweight Squat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3joOwL4cvg

Advanced Level: Goblet Squat

https://youtu.be/C3b0lvMH0gk
  • themedalist
    edited June 2018
    Options

And even our Move It Monday promo is liking our squats theme!

q18b0ednymy0.jpeg

Please post your Monday workout to our special Move It Monday thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge/
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great challenge. Thanks for the info and videos. Will do the beginner squats this week and will add up weights as weeks progress.
  • Bethebestmeforme
    Bethebestmeforme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I will be doing the beginner because I recently had a sprained knee. I may not go all the way down but I will do what I can :smiley:
  • themedalist
    Options
    Cookiesm1 wrote: »
    I will be doing the beginner because I recently had a sprained knee. I may not go all the way down but I will do what I can :smiley:

As always, we should each modify as needed for our health and body issues and per the recommendations of our health care professionals. “Lots of squats“ is a relative term. Lots could be just a couple.

I’m going to do the beginner squats as well and modify as I need to.
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    definitely need to add these back into my day was doing them for a while and as they say I fell off the wagon
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing intermediate. I have been forgetting to do my squats and I think I only remember a few times last week, but each time I do between 50 and 100. I'm going to keep up with at least 100 M, T, Th, and F, but on the days in between I'll do at least 30. Yesterday I did 25. I forgot it was supposed to be a rest day :) and I hadn't read this post yet, otherwise, I'd have done 5 more. So far today I have 30 done, but I want to get the other 70, too.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am going to do the intermediate bodyweight squats.

I gave you 50 squats! Feel the burn! LOL
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,981 Member
    Options
    I also have to modify, but I'll add more reps. So my goal is 20 squats 3 times, but hoping to do it 4 times.
  • Bethebestmeforme
    Options
    Completed 5 beginner ones
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Beginners done!! 30 squats
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    OMG! My THIGHS are sore. I did another 50 this morning.
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    going to start with beginner ones tonight!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,981 Member
    Options
    100 squats today. But I got some sad news - my Curves is closing July 31. Meeting at Curves to work out with my sister 3 times a week has been the backbone of my fitness plan. :'(
  • Bethebestmeforme
    Options
    7 completed today
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    100 squats today. But I got some sad news - my Curves is closing July 31. Meeting at Curves to work out with my sister 3 times a week has been the backbone of my fitness plan. :'(

Oh noooo!!! I am so sorry. Hugs.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Done 30 today. Ouch
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    My silly Jonny. I just finished my morning workout when he arrived. I told him I was going to jump in the shower and get ready for the day when he says to me "did you remember to do your 50 squats?" LOL Nope I had not. He counted them off for me as I did my 50. My thighs are not as sore as yesterday thank goodness.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've done my 100 M and T and 30 today!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    My silly Jonny. I just finished my morning workout when he arrived. I told him I was going to jump in the shower and get ready for the day when he says to me "did you remember to do your 50 squats?" LOL Nope I had not. He counted them off for me as I did my 50. My thighs are not as sore as yesterday thank goodness.

Such a cutie pie!!