Vegetarian Runner

Options
I am a vegetarian (newly). I've been running for the past 10 years or so... I'm training for a half marathon right now, and am having problems with my vegetarian lifestyle, running, and still being able to lose weight. Any sage words of advice? TIA

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your issue? You are finding it difficult to lose weight while eating vegetarian?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One of my friends is a vegan triathlete and he's lost a ton of weight over the last few years.

What issues are you having?
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and a runner. I am not quite sure what issues you are having. I lost some weight right away once becoming a vegetarian but then I plateaued for quite a while. It takes time to figure out what works for you now. Lots of the stuff I used to use when doing long distance running (gels, drinks, etc) does not fit into my lifestyle now. I have had to experiment alot with what works and what doesn't. There are some great resources out there like Matt Frazier (NoMeatAthlete.com) and Brendan Brazier (ThriveForward.com). Both don't eat meat and are athletes.
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian (newly). I've been running for the past 10 years or so... I'm training for a half marathon right now, and am having problems with my vegetarian lifestyle, running, and still being able to lose weight. Any sage words of advice? TIA

I feel "heavy" when I run. If you are a runner, you should know what that means. My legs seem lethargic and I'm having a hard time getting through my long runs. I get enough protein. Thanks for the websites ^^^
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I feel "heavy" when I run. If you are a runner, you should know what that means. My legs seem lethargic and I'm having a hard time getting through my long runs. I get enough protein. Thanks for the websites ^^^
    Are you eating enough carbs?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

What's your training program look like? Usually when my legs feel heavy (for more than a day - we all have that feeling occasionally) it's fatigue (not enough sleep) or overtraining.....