Keto question..

ldruss1546
ldruss1546 Posts: 12 Member
I was thinking.... Since I already have a abundance of fat is it necessary to get all the fat required in this diet? When I want my buddy to feed on my storage not what im eating?

Replies

• jheye
    jheye Posts: 36 Member
    On any diet you need to be sure you get essential nutrients- the biggies are protein and essential fatty acids, plus assorted vitamins and minerals. Calories are available from carbs, fats and protein. A keto diet encourages the body to use fat rather than carbs or protein to meet energy needs. While there are some studies showing success with Very Low Calorie Ketogenic Diets, most people stick with a moderate reduction in calories. If you keep the required protein and cut your carbs under 20-50g a day, you're going to get the rest of the calories from fat. Also, it's easier to prepare food if you are not trying to limit healthy fats, and fats tend to make meals more filling so you don't feel hungry a short time later.
    You don't need to knock yourself out to eat lots of fat, but don't try to severely limit fats and carbs at the same time.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I use keto for migraines. I have found that I don't need to eat all the fat. I eat my protein and try to get AT LEAST that goal number. I eat my carbs and try to get NO MORE THAN the goal number. Fat I just ignore.

I have my protein set pretty high for keto (143g) and I still go over sometimes...as long as I keep carbs low, it seems to keep my migraines under control.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    ldruss1546 wrote: »
    I was thinking.... Since I already have a abundance of fat is it necessary to get all the fat required in this diet? When I want my buddy to feed on my storage not what im eating?

You're on the money.
    Ketosis requires carbs under 50g. That's it. Fat is necessary. Good for hormone levels, fuel and taste. But it's true that the body burns dietary fat first. So eat to your carb ceiling, get enough protein for your height, weight, and activity level. The rest of your calories will be filled with fat. You'll get enough from meat and modest use of oil for cooking and it's usually not necessary to add a bunch of extra fat.

1. Hit carbs.
    2. Hit protein.
    3. Fill the rest with fat.

Fat is the lever, which goes up or down depending on your calorie needs.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    If your diary is accurate, I'll encourage you to eat more than 700 calories per day. It doesn't matter (much) if it comes from fat or protein on a ketogenic diet but you do need to fuel your body through food. Severe restriction in calories might work for a few days...and then it doesn't. The state of ketosis is created primarily via carbohydrate restriction.

I'll go with the idea your are just not really tracking calories right now or are using another calorie/macro tracking devise or are trying to "eat to hunger". If the latter is the case, be sure to eat on days you are hungry. If you never, ever, ever get hungry eating 700 calories a day every day...well that's another issue.
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 150 Member
    I use keto for migraines. I have found that I don't need to eat all the fat. I eat my protein and try to get AT LEAST that goal number. I eat my carbs and try to get NO MORE THAN the goal number. Fat I just ignore.

I have my protein set pretty high for keto (143g) and I still go over sometimes...as long as I keep carbs low, it seems to keep my migraines under control.

I also get them a bit but I notice that is a way for my body to tell me to drink more water.
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 150 Member
    Hello everyone,

I don t think you have to eat all the fats or proteins or even carbs. I think if you are full within your set goals you are fine.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @ldruss1546

You can't artificially eat less to burn more calories - not long term (obviously, self-starvation for extended periods of months/years will waste away the body, but that's an extreme example). The body is smart and will adapt. Your metabolism will slow down to match your intake. You'll burn faster at first (when the metabolism is used to more calories), then stall for an extended time until you level out (while the body stalls the metabolism to reevaluate your actual intake). Your body will find it's zone for eating enough calories to quell the "OMG we're starving, hold on to EVERYTHING," reaction that stems from eating too little.

Many times people find that calorie cycling can help with this, or boosting calories enough to boost the metabolism and start losing again.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    FWIW, I stay under on the carbs and fat. I try to meet or exceed the protein. The fat pretty much takes care of itself, and so I don't do "fat bombs." On a technicality, I do have HWC with my first cup of coffee in the morning, so I guess that qualifies as intentionally added fat. Protein goal is 140, and the carb limit is 20.