Bone Broth nutrition

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
Hi all,
After spending my weekend googling, I am still a bit confused, so I am hoping you can help. OH has started 5:2 so I now need to calorie count my home made bone broths. I have googled right left and center but been unable to find the information I am looking for.

After a roast, I usually re-cook the bones for a base of my soups or stews.

Can anyone tell me the nutrition in a plain broth made by beef/lamb/duck/chicken bones?

I add stuff depending on my mood, what's in the fridge and leftovers, so can add these myself each time I cook. I am only looking for the base of the broth. Google seems to think I want to add loads of veg to every broth I make, wrong, often I just slow cook the bones for me, and make soup for him. We're both happy.

Thank you, I know one or more of you will be sitting on this information <3

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the bones as they are mostly minerals and I do not eat them, just what is leached into the water is what you are consuming. I do chicken broth and they don't contain a lot of marrow that escapes into the broth. Large beef, mutton, or pork bones would contain much more marrow. So you would need to find out about the marrow, Google should help with that when needed.

I don't leave the veggies in my broth, I strain it so it is cleared. If I wanted to eat the veggies I would just run what I added through a recipe calculator like MFP's to see what the break down is. The veggies in my broth do vary according to what is left in the fridge. Some days it is heavily celery, others it might be more onions or peppers. Now that the herbs are out, I have made a couple of batches of broth with only added fresh herbs and that is delicious.

Carbs would be very low as would the calories as long as the veggies are not consumed and a lot of marrow hasn't been released. Some think the marrow is the whole point of eating bone broth. I am not one of them.