Diet and Budget Help

tekwriter
tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
Hi everyone, I know this has probably been asked before but I really need some help. I would love to come back to paleo with a little dairy. When I was doing paleo I felt wonderful and energetic, slept less. I am diabetic and my Dr. is 100% behind the diet. He actually is the one who suggested it. I do fairly well without the grains. I am good with subbing sweet potato on occasion for potato. My problem is with the budget. We are on a seriously tight budget. We are in Chapter 13 bankruptcy and it takes most of our expendable income. We are a family of 5 adults. The last time my grocery budget went up phenomenally. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I feel like I may be missing so much because I too, like another poster, am having a serious time wrapping my head around the not low fat. For so many years I have cooked according to the SAD, I flounder when it is time to make menus that the whole family can eat. My sons are picky, no onion, tomato or pepper. they love pasta and rice, but I am okay with popping it in the steamer and not eating it. The son's girlfriend does not do eggs, sausage or hamburger. I would seriously love some concrete ideas to get me going again. I really can't just pop it all in the pan and stir fry. It would work for my husband and I but that is all. Sorry this is so long but I really want to make this work. thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    If your sons and your son's girlfriend are adults and don't want to eat what you make, can't they make their own food? And/or pay for it themselves?

Best ways I've found to lower food expenses are with produce - buy either frozen or in-season (because in-season is cheaper!).
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Frozen, canned, or in-season only veggies are great options, and I usually look for good deals: I'll buy whatever meat is on sale. Buying in bulk, tho expensive initially, will save you lots in the long run; and might be especially helpful with 5 adults to feed. I tend to avoid the expensive veggies on tight weeks, like squashes, and stick with the basics carrots/cauli/broccoli/cabbage. And I've found buying heads of lettuce is cheaper than buying the bagged salad. Limiting the variety of veggies can get boring, but whatever works, right? You can find deals on oils (olive & coconut) online on Amazon or similar websites. Also check with any food co-ops in your area. They sometimes will give you a discount on food for volunteering a certain number of hours per week. I hope some of this can help you out. Good luck!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    I agree with the previous post. If you and your husband are on board with Paleo/Primal then the other adults in the house can figure out their own meals and find a way to pay for them too. You are not a short order cook. They're adults, let them act like it.

As for the budget, buying organic and grass fed everything is really not an option (for me either) but you do the best you can to eat Paleo/Primal until you can afford more organic options. As you know, eggs are the cheapest protein ever. I also buy chicken legs and thighs on the bone or whole chickens because they are sometimes only $1/lb. I will take that thigh meat off the bone and chop in finely or put it (partially frozen ) in a food processor to grind for burgers, ground meat, spaghetti sauce, chili or whatever. Beef is tricky but pork goes on sale quite a bit. Canned tuna is great for tuna cakes or as an added protein to salad. A little homemade tarter sauce with your tuna cake and you're set for protein and fat for not too many $$.

As the previous post mentioned, frozen veggies are amazing. I make an amazing soup by steaming frozen broccoli, cauliflower, squash with a little broth, little onion powder and garlic powder S & P. Puree with an immersion blender or blend in batches in a blender. I usually add a little cream or cheese to make it richer. Then I add chopped smoked sausage, chicken or whatever protein I have leftover. Really filling and not expensive at all. Sometimes I don't add much liquid and add some butter and seasoning for mashed veggies instead of potatoes. I make a killer spinach dip with frozen, thawed chopped spinach. Squeeze the spinach, chop the spinach some more or put it in a processor. Add some mayo and sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, worchestershire to make it as loose as you like it. I use it for a snack on celery (cheap) or as a spread on a lettuce leaf with some lunch meat (just buy lunch meat you can afford for now).

Another cheap option is crustless quiches. I use about 5 eggs and several egg whites or liquid egg whites if you can afford them. Mix with leftover protein, cheese and veggies. Spray a pie plate or better yet rub with bacon fat or butter and add egg mixture. (Don't forget seasonings you like and S & P. Cook at 350 till it looks puffy and doesn't wiggle (maybe 20 min?). Cool and cut into portions and you will have breakfast for everyday of the week or a good filling dinner with some salad.

ALWAYS BUY STORE BRAND! Walmart has the best prices on most everything I think. I don't usually buy fresh meat there. though. You can do it! Especially if you're not trying to cater to the tastes of everyone else. They can take care of themselves. Let them and let you and your husband bond over this wonderful healthy lifesyle. Might help your stress level too. Good luck!
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Hi everyone, I know this has probably been asked before but I really need some help. I would love to come back to paleo with a little dairy. When I was doing paleo I felt wonderful and energetic, slept less. I am diabetic and my Dr. is 100% behind the diet. He actually is the one who suggested it. I do fairly well without the grains. I am good with subbing sweet potato on occasion for potato. My problem is with the budget. We are on a seriously tight budget. We are in Chapter 13 bankruptcy and it takes most of our expendable income. We are a family of 5 adults. The last time my grocery budget went up phenomenally. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I feel like I may be missing so much because I too, like another poster, am having a serious time wrapping my head around the not low fat. For so many years I have cooked according to the SAD, I flounder when it is time to make menus that the whole family can eat. My sons are picky, no onion, tomato or pepper. they love pasta and rice, but I am okay with popping it in the steamer and not eating it. The son's girlfriend does not do eggs, sausage or hamburger. I would seriously love some concrete ideas to get me going again. I really can't just pop it all in the pan and stir fry. It would work for my husband and I but that is all. Sorry this is so long but I really want to make this work. thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. My adult daughter and her girlfriend lives with my hub and I, but I don't cook for them specifically. They do most of the cooking and buy their own food. Occassionally I make crock pot and cast iron meals that can feed the household for a couple of days, so perhaps cooking a big pot of goodness? I'm also a diabetic but I'm lucky that everyone in the house eats either Paleo, Primal, or Keto.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I agree with the others - you're all adults, either everyone contributes to the groceries, or they can buy their own.

That said, find local farms and get your meat and eggs from them. You're actually only about an hour away from the Amish community in Union Grove. Go see if they have any stores you can shop at. They'll often have bulk foods, meat, eggs, and dairy for sale, and will often be a fraction of the price you'd find at non-Amish stores. As an added bonus, any animal products will likely be pasture-raised.

Invest in a giant chest freezer, then buy meat by the animal. Buying a cow, or even half or quarter of a cow, can bring the price of the meat down to an average of $3-$5 a pound, which might seem like a lot until you see how much sirloin and other $20+ cuts you end up with. The same goes for pork and chicken. Then you also have tons of bones and other parts for stocks and stews.

Frozen veggies are cheap, almost as nutritious as fresh, and last a long time. Grab as much as you can. Also, in-season produce from your local farmer's markets will likely be cheaper, and better, than store-bought stuff.

Finally, see if you can talk your employer/coworkers/neighbors into working with a local produce delivery service, such as Green Bean Delivery. The service might be willing to give you a discount if you get a certain number of subscribers and can deliver to a single location. That opens up a ton of local, organic and sustainably raised produce and animal products for a reasonable price (we end up with more than enough produce, eggs, specialty meat (namely bison and lamb), and grass fed milk for our 3 person household for less than $100/week).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I live in the Arctic and my grocery bill pre Paleo/Primal was about $1600 per month for just my child and I, and that's with eating wild meat a few times per month. However, since going Primal (and now Paleo-no dairy), I have reduced my grocery bill to $1000 to $1200. Strangely, my food per item is much more expensive than before. I was eating locally available processed foods, but now I eat higher quality meats, produce, etc and even pay to ship in much of my groceries.

The key to my savings is not just Paleo, it's that I have chosen a ketogenic form of Paleo. I eat a high fat, nutrient dense diet, and because of that I eat far less than I used to. My advice is to banish the fat phobia once and for all and eat more high quality foods and when you do that your body will naturally require less food. (I was diagnosed with Binge Eating disorder pre Primal/Paleo so I do have much experience from which to speak.)

Please consider that quality matters. You don't need "organic" everything, but depending on where you live grass fed meat may be a more affordable option than you think. Don't expect to find it in the store; get out and meet some of your local farmers (which is not possible where I live-but I do research to find better food sources). We can't solve access to healthy food issues without putting in some effort. Good health is priceless.

PS. Make healthy dinners and then the others can take it or leave it. I don't understand catering to every one's spoiled pickiness. I do NOT do that even for my 5 year old. I provide her healthy food and then she has to buy her own "treats" with her allowance (I only give her enough money to buy 2 treats-ex: one chocolate bar and one small bag of chips).
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    thanks all, I did get some really good ideas. I did not know union grove had an amish community. I will check it out. I think I will go to Sam's this weekend and get my meat and some veggies. I do not by the bagged salad. It went bad too quickly. Thanks again, i will try this out and let you know how it goes. I will research this week and start the next. I will see how much i spend.