Getting too comfortable

Options
HappyKat5
HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
edited June 2018 in Social Groups
I haven’t been on MFP a lot these days because I tend to change my diet/lifestyle in the summer. It gets hot and humid and I usually substitute juices for solid foods. I don’t like to track my juices, even though I love my food scale, I hate measuring apples and pieces of ginger. Anyways, I always see on the forum that I lurk on that people gain weight after initially losing or after maintenance. Sometimes, we get too comfortable. When I first had surgery, you couldn’t get me to have a carbonated drink, but years later, I indulge. We stay away from certain things until that day we try it (whether it be just for the taste or because a memory is attached to it.). We don’t get sick, queasy or dump. It’s the best thing EVER! However, we can land ourselves in the same position we were before. I think it’s healthy and good to bring back some things in our life WITH moderation. Give yourself the control to enjoy some things every once in awhile, but also know that can turn into comfort. Find a balance to enjoy life.

Replies

• jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 months post op and struggling with this a lot, thanks for this post :)
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I agree! I think it’s important to find something you can/do/or want to after this particular surgery. For most of my life, when I watched a movie, I had something to snack on, and not because I really wanted to, but it just became a habit. Habits are comforting...but, not always good for you. Now, when I eat, I literally say to myself, if I eat this, is it going to bring me happiness or is it not worth it...today? Maybe tomorrow, but I try to listen to my body more than my brain. Listening (or not listening) to the heart is a lot harder, sometimes.
  • clsumrall1
    clsumrall1 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Very well said.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    HappyKat5 wrote: »
    I haven’t been on MFP a lot these days because I tend to change my diet/lifestyle in the summer. It gets hot and humid and I usually substitute juices for solid foods. I don’t like to track my juices, even though I love my food scale, I hate measuring apples and pieces of ginger. Anyways, I always see on the forum that I lurk on that people gain weight after initially losing or after maintenance. Sometimes, we get too comfortable. When I first had surgery, you couldn’t get me to have a carbonated drink, but years later, I indulge. We stay away from certain things until that day we try it (whether it be just for the taste or because a memory is attached to it.). We don’t get sick, queasy or dump. It’s the best thing EVER! However, we can land ourselves in the same position we were before. I think it’s healthy and good to bring back some things in our life WITH moderation. Give yourself the control to enjoy some things every once in awhile, but also know that can turn into comfort. Find a balance to enjoy life.
    I agree, getting complacent contributes to weight gain. If you don't change your behaviors long term the weight can creep back on.

I have to admit I was strict, obsessive and a control freak in my weight loss phase. It served me well. I reached my goal in six months.

Maintaining for me is finding balance. I am mindful of what I eat and step on the scale each week. I do indulge once in a while. If I have a gain. I get right back to getting my weight where I am comfortable. I'm living life and letting go of my control freak...*lol*

I am amazed at how easy it is to gain and how slowly it comes back off. Maintaining is still work.