Keto friends - do you target carbs around exercise?

23rochelle23
23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
Hi people

Just wondering if you guys try and target your carbs around your exercise or if you just eat and exercise whenever (I’m specifically doing weights but whatever you do) :-)

Just seeing if anyone has any particularly good strategies :-)

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I eat more carbs on lifting days, but in terms of when to eat them, it's not terribly important. What and how much you eat is the key, timing of meals is so little impact as to be insignificant.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    If dealing with IR and BG issues, timing carbs around exercise may help with achieving a steadier BG. Some find better performance with lifting if carbs are used. I think there will be a dip in performance in the first month or three of ketosis as you become adapted regardless.

I would be careful about adding too much too early on though if IR is a concern. I would give the body time to reverse IR... but I am not an expert here, and exercise will help with IR in muscles. :)
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Insulin resistance/BGL is no issue for me thankfully :-) just wondering in regard to energy levels and strength - my strength is definitely going up but I definitely have days that my body doesn’t seem as inclined to push through and I was wondering if I was doing anything silly by not having carbs first etc :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I can't comment in regards to strength but I know for me when my energy level is low and my legs feel like lead on my brisk walks, a good hit of salt is what I need. In the heat of summer I'll down about a half teaspoon before I ever put my shoes on. I carry boullion cubes in my lightweight backpack or pocket, just in case.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    I don't up my carbs on heavy workout days, but I am more careful to hit my protein target. So far, I have been fine as far as energy and strength. I workout 5-6 days a week and make 3-4 of those pretty intense with lifting and such. You may find that more carbs works better for you. It's crazy how bodies can be so different!