For those who are so inspired:

1. Buy a grassfed beef liver
2. chop into pill-sized peices
3. freeze on a metal tray
4. store in a freezer bag
5. remove your desired portion
6. swallow one piece at a time with beverage of choice

Important Points:
Do NOT allow the liver to rest on the tongue for more than 2 seconds (unless you amazingly enjoy the flavor of beef liver)
Do NOT look at the beef liver while you are trying to swallow it (gag reflex intact).
Do NOT let the beef liver thaw completely before attempting to swallow all pieces (unless you are one of those steel-stomached people who like raw oysters).

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    You can also encapsulate it for a little less of the ick factor.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Neither beef liver nor miscellaneous pills are my cup of tea but I'd probably opt for the latter if necessary. Dessicated beef liver as mentioned above:
    gkmfcwvifk7w.png
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Lol. :D I'm impressed by your dedication to getting nutritious foods!

I'm not a liver fan. I'll do some liver pate once in a while. Snobby liver. ;)

Why raw liver? Is there something lost in the cooking of it?
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo yes, there is more nutrition in raw beef liver, just like raw egg yolk! I tried cooking and eating liver several times, and I just couldn't do it. Plus once you cook it up, it doesn't keep as long.

I found this neat solution online. Also, I a huge amount of beef liver in my deep freezer to go through (I purchased the cow from a local farm), there's no way I can consume it all unless I just eat a little bit every day. These are my daily vitamins.

@tammyfranks2 It's like the best whole food "daily vitamin" on earth.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'll say this much, you have grit! I saw Kevin Costner take a bite out of a freshly killed buffalo liver in "Dances With Wolves" and I almost puked. No thanks. I 'll take my liver fried with onions next to the cauli mash. And oh yes, please pass the raw oysters in the half shell.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I imagine its a lot cheaper than buying vitamins too.

What are the tastiest recipes for liver out there? I really disliked it as a child but I haven't tried it again in well over 20 years.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    OMG....More power to you all who do but I will not be eating any raw or cooked.....Not possible for me....LOL
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

What are the tastiest recipes for liver out there? I really disliked it as a child but I haven't tried it again in well over 20 years.

For beef or bison or buffalo liver, I'm a fan of just Liver and Onions. You need to make sure to soak your liver before cooking though. I also love, love, LOVE Chicken Liver Pate, I top mine with some homemade raspberry jam that is naturally sweetened, so not bad on a Keto diet, and it's just to die for. I like to toast some 90 second bread and spread it on top, it's a perfect meal or snack.
  • nvmomketo
    edited June 2018
    Options

For beef or bison or buffalo liver, I'm a fan of just Liver and Onions. You need to make sure to soak your liver before cooking though. I also love, love, LOVE Chicken Liver Pate, I top mine with some homemade raspberry jam that is naturally sweetened, so not bad on a Keto diet, and it's just to die for. I like to toast some 90 second bread and spread it on top, it's a perfect meal or snack.

Soak it? Just in water? I've never made it before so I am honestly quite clueless...

I remember it being breaded as a kid and my mom trying to pass it off as a minute steak/schnitzel. She though we wouldn't notice. LOL

This thread is motivating me to try liver. I've already been eyeing in the grocer's lately, but don't know what to do with it. Maybe I'll cut a portion off for liver pills and try the rest cooked.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    edited June 2018
    Options

Soak it? Just in water? I've never made it before so I am honestly quite clueless...

I remember it being breaded as a kid and my mom trying to pass it off as a minute steak/schnitzel. She though we wouldn't notice. LOL

This thread is motivating me to try liver. I've already been eyeing in the grocer's lately, but don't know what to do with it. Maybe I'll cut a portion off for liver pills and try the rest cooked.

I soak mine in Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water for at least a couple of hours. Then drain and rinse well. Pat dry with a paper towel and salt liberally and let rest another 30 minutes before cooking.

I then just pan fry mine with some onions. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and add 1-2 cups of bone stock, I scrape up all the yummy bits from the bottom and then add a thickener (usually arrowroot) and bring to a simmer and reduce by half for a yummy sauce/gravy.

ETA: if you want to ease in to it, I add liver to my meatball and meatloaf mixture. I freeze a chunk and then grate it on my cheese grater and add to the mix. I'd say to get started maybe do 2oz liver for every 1lb of beef.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Freezing doesn't impact the nutrients?
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @Cadori Undoubtedly, there is a slight effect from freezing, but insignificant compared to cooking. It would be a task to get fresh, raw, grassfed beef liver on a regular basis. Buying local also means short time travel time from slaughter to storage, which helps preserve nutrients. I think a deep freezer, with very little fluctuation in temperature, maintains the nutritional value much better than a freezer opened for daily use. I remember when storing my own, I read that deep frozen breast milk is good for 6-12 months.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I soak mine in Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water for at least a couple of hours. Then drain and rinse well. Pat dry with a paper towel and salt liberally and let rest another 30 minutes before cooking.

I then just pan fry mine with some onions. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and add 1-2 cups of bone stock, I scrape up all the yummy bits from the bottom and then add a thickener (usually arrowroot) and bring to a simmer and reduce by half for a yummy sauce/gravy.

ETA: if you want to ease in to it, I add liver to my meatball and meatloaf mixture. I freeze a chunk and then grate it on my cheese grater and add to the mix. I'd say to get started maybe do 2oz liver for every 1lb of beef.

Thank you! :)

I like the idea of slipping it into some foods to help get used to the taste a bit. Really good idea! :grin:
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I soak beef liver in milk for a couple hours, then pat dry and fry with onions. You could probably "bread" them with an egg wash and almond flour or crushed pork rinds. I am going to try WholeFood's gravy/sauce idea with chicken livers and serve that on a bed of cauliflower mash.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I soak beef liver in milk for a couple hours, then pat dry and fry with onions. You could probably "bread" them with an egg wash and almond flour or crushed pork rinds. I am going to try WholeFood's gravy/sauce idea with chicken livers and serve that on a bed of cauliflower mash.

I was considering breading it with flax meal but maybe I'll just try it plain first and see how that goes.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Put a slab of butter in small cast iron skillet. Put the pan on medium heat. Put the raw liver in and just quickly brown the two sides. Salt while browning if desired. Remove from pan and put 1.5 tablespoons of Primal Kitchen avocado mayo on it and dig in. I've been keto so long that the almost raw liver tastes sweet to me but then again, this is excellent grass fed liver.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Since I raise the cows I know it’s all good and I do use the whole harvest.
    I make pate with some bacon, bacon fat, and bourbon added, then freeze it in ramekins.
    The tongue & heart, though .... I just can’t. Those go to an old man down the road. He loves them.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    69zdiopnoq8c.png

This is how you eat liver, IMHO.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Crisseyda wrote: »
    For those who are so inspired:

1. Buy a grassfed beef liver
    2. chop into pill-sized peices
    3. freeze on a metal tray
    4. store in a freezer bag
    5. remove your desired portion
    6. swallow one piece at a time with beverage of choice

Important Points:
    Do NOT allow the liver to rest on the tongue for more than 2 seconds (unless you amazingly enjoy the flavor of beef liver)
    Do NOT look at the beef liver while you are trying to swallow it (gag reflex intact).
    Do NOT let the beef liver thaw completely before attempting to swallow all pieces (unless you are one of those steel-stomached people who like raw oysters).

Must have been reading Deep Nutrition or listening to Dr. Cate Shanahan.

I love liver, but I seriously have to pan sear it first. Most people don't like it because they have only had it cooked to shoe leather grey done.

Put butter in a pre-warmed pan, as soon as it melts down, put the liver in, let it sit there for 1 min. then turn it over and wait another minute take it out now, you are done. You will get lots of nutrition that way.