Keto for fat loss while maintaining weight.

Tazzy_ralis
Tazzy_ralis Posts: 5 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this group. I have tried short stints of the keto diet before and have been following a low carb diet for a while and enjoying not getting the fatigue I used to experience with regular carb heavy meals. This is my first week where I've actually planned to keep below 25g net carbs per day and have been able to do just that so far. We'll see how the weekend goes!

I wanted to ask if anyone is following a keto diet with the goal of maintaining their current weight but lowering their body fat percentage? I'm currently 145lb and pretty happy with that after losing 20lb through low carb and a regular workout schedule. What I would ideally like is to get below 30% body fat. I'm at 34% at the moment.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I think lifting weights is the best thing you can do for increasing muscle and losing body fat.
  • bigpapawes
    bigpapawes Posts: 10 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently 145lb and pretty happy with that after losing 20lb through low carb and a regular workout schedule. What I would ideally like is to get below 30% body fat. I'm at 34% at the moment.

Tazzy,
    At 145 lb and 34% BF the fat is equal to 50lbs of fat. In order to get down to 30% BF, you need to lose 6lbs of fat. Not water, not muscle mass, just the fat. Which isn't always easy on the front end of Keto as it is not protein sparring until you are fat adapted. That said once you lose the 6lb you either need to enjoy being 139lbs, or pack on 6 lbs of muscle to get back to 145lbs. This requires proper protein intake along with weight training.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
  • Tazzy_ralis
    Thanks for the info. I mainly focus on weight training already when I'm at the gym. Not a huge fan of cardio and I'm on my feet all day at work anyway. I'm making sure I have plenty of protien on gym days too to help with building muscle. My main concern is that I don't want to lose too much weight amd definitely don't want to lose muscle mass!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I sort of did it by accident when I increased protein and reduced fat. I started out keto on the fat bomb and bulletproof coffee, restricted protein version... lost weight quickly but not a lot of it was fat.
    Then I made the change and though my weight went up a bit, I lost the most fat.
    I’m actually back down to 139 right now doing even lower fat, high protein at the moment.
    I spent about 5 weeks doing half assed exercise during this entire span of time.
    cc4gru69natk.jpeg
  • Tazzy_ralis
    That's very interesting. So restrict carbs but don't worry too much about the protein/fat ratio.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,750 Member
    @Sunny_Bunny_ You are my inspiration.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    That's very interesting. So restrict carbs but don't worry too much about the protein/fat ratio.

I would say to make sure you reach your protein because it’s important to get enough. If you have body fat, you don’t really need much fat because you’ll use body fat. You need a minimum amount but that’s like 40-50g or something. And honestly, at least for short periods of time, you don’t even need that much. Think about fasting. People aren’t getting 40-50g fat then...it’s all coming from body fat. I wouldn’t try to stay that low for long periods though. Like months. And this is all assuming you have a fair amount of excess body fat of course. If you don’t have much, you will probably need a little more dietary fat just so you have energy and enough to eat in general.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    it works for sure! in 6 months, i put 6kg on, while reducing my bodyfat from 13% to 11%.

that would be around 7kg of lean body mass. and i did NOT eat in a heavy sureplus.

jobzmn3zvagf.jpeg