Keto/HFLC and hormone levels

Options
GeorgeGCT
GeorgeGCT Posts: 20 Member
Hello group,

I looked for this subject or similar discussions but didn't see many relevant results. I recently asked for blood testosterone and estrodiol testing, my doctor didn't see any objection, so I had blood drawn. I needed to check again anyway for my own curiousity. Had taken combinations of pregnenolone, progesterone, and DHEA in the past trying to balance my hormones. At one point I had terrible adrenal fatigue and it helped. I will try to post my results. I am basically a month or so into Keto, and vary only a small amount some days with protein and slightly more carbs. But I have been steadily losing my extra fat, noticable change, and building muscle with weight lifting.

Has anyone had any measurable hormone changes they would like to share? I am interested in how Keto affects the testosterone: estrodiol ratio mainly. I keep hearing many claims it has the ability to reduce estrogen dominance.

Also, would be nice to know differences of blood and urine tests. Need to know importance of when to use each and what their benefit/difference is.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your day!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984

Do you have information you'd like to share here?

I know that for me, personally, my hormones are off due to being on hormonal birth control pills. As you're a male according to your picture, that isn't an issue for you, but my understanding is that stored body fat releases stored estrogen, so while in active body fat phases, your body will have more active estrogen. As you shrink the "beer gut" effect, this should also represent the reduction of estrogen dominance. I can't speak to male hormones much, but I know that when my estrogen is elevated, my testosterone dips, and my SHBG and all that gets all out of whack...
  • bigpapawes
    bigpapawes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow. I was just having this very discussion with a functional medicine doctor friend of mine. The long and short is that Keto has shown to regulate hormones and return them to “normal” levels after extended use of the diet. That said it does take time as (like the post above mentioned) we have a ton of excess hormones stored in our fat tissue. Nature’s idea was store this fat for when we don’t have food, better throw these excess hormones in to have said fuel source function properly when I need it. So as you lose the fat your body is flooded with the excess hormones.
    All that said it will balance in long term. In short term if you want to uptick T levels alter your diet to increase foods that will help (BEEF it’s what’s for dinner). Also consider natural supplements that will boost free T. I personally used 1st Phorm’s Primal T pack and it worked amazing.
    As for my experience, I had blood work done a month into Keto. My T levels were a bit low, and hormones were getting wacky. I would get sick smelling things. Increased my intake of fatty red meat and started supplementing. Fast forward 3 months T levels up 100%, off supplement, and Keto the whole time!!!