Just started keto

jheffe
jheffe Posts: 34 Member
Hi my name is Joan....I’m 64 years old 65 in October...just started the keto diet...I have lost a few pounds...I weigh around 182-183 and my goal is approximately 135...I would love any advise or tips that would help me in my journey!...the only exercise I do is walking 30 minutes 6-7 days a week...please feel free to add me as a friend....WE CAN DO THIS!

Replies

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,750 Member
    Hi Joan, I'm 65 (66 in Sept), started keto last April at 178.5 and have currently lost 14 pounds towards my goal of 145. My primary exercise is also walking, although I hope to add bodyweight & dumbbells to build muscles.

Welcome to this group - it has helped me so much. It's still a learning experience for me, but there are so many knowledgeable people here who help and inspire. :) I look forward to watching your success here! Hmmm, tips...
    • Biggest thing I've learned here is to get more (good) fats - for me it's olive oil, peanuts and avocado.
    • And not to skimp on the salt - I guess our bodies process electrolytes differently?
    • I'm also trying to figure out how to lose fat, not muscle.
    BTW, I rarely add to my friends list because it's hard to be interactive there. But I really enjoy being friends in these groups where we can converse more easily.
    paula
  • jheffe
    jheffe Posts: 34 Member
    Thank you for your comment Paula...congrats on your weight loss...gives me hope and also motivation to keep going!..thank you for the tips...I’m still very leary of all the fats I consume but I’m gonna trust this diet and hope my cholesterol doesn’t sky rocket!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @jheffe

Carbs are what make your cholesterol go up, not fats...

I don't have all these links saved, but maybe others will post them. @Sunny_Bunny_ @FIT_Goat @Dragonwolf @baconslave
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I eat so much fat! My personal trainer had a conniption fit when he saw my saturated fat goal was 90 grams a day. And that's just saturated fat. My total fat is over 200 grams. My cholesterol is fine. My non-fasting number (from just a couple weeks ago when I gave blood) was 194. All my numbers are always good.

It's not the fat.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @jheffe

I don't have all these links saved, but maybe others will post them. @Sunny_Bunny_ @FIT_Goat @Dragonwolf @baconslave

This was a timely reminder and saved me searching for information! As I was ill (like sleeping sickness so tired all the time!) while on holiday for a couple of weeks I went to the doctor for some blood tests when I got back. I've just been told my Cholesterol is at 6.2 (UK numbers but the bottom end of when you need to start being worried) so to go back in a couple of months for a re test.
    I don't know what the LDL HDL split was as this was on the telephone via a receptionist and I need to get round to calling into the surgery. All I know is that when I had routine tests done just a few months ago my Cholesterol was really low so this is a big jump, however for the two weeks we were away, although I ate very little what I did eat was certainly not Keto and the test was done as soon as I got back so my feeling is that the carbs I had been eating had effected my Cholesterol as every time I've had blood tests on Keto my Cholesterol is very low.
    I'm going to be interested to see what it is the next time as it was back to the Keto way for me as soon as I got home and I could choose my food from a wider range than pasta!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @chinatowninchina

I really hope you're recovering soon, T... It seems weird that you're so exhausted. Like Lyme's disease or Mono or something crazy... (HUGS)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    @jheffe

I can't copy them right now, but this is more or less correct, with the caveat that some numbers do go up, due to the nature of the tests. They don't "skyrocket," though.

Specifically, carbs have a direct effect on triglycerides, because trigs are how glucose is converted to fat.

Generally, the lipid panel will show an increase, but it's not the end of the world. I'm fact, it's usually a good thing. Getting more fat gives the body better substrates to create the proper ratios and sizes of HDL and LDL. The increase of HDL is a good thing and the "increase" in LDL is nearly always due to increases in the particle size and density (a good thing, because it makes them more like HDL particles).

The end result, especially when you're not losing weight, is a normalization of your lipids and overall improvement in cardiovascular health.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    @chinatowninchina

I really hope you're recovering soon, T... It seems weird that you're so exhausted. Like Lyme's disease or Mono or something crazy... (HUGS)

Hi, thanks I'm actually recovering now and firing on almost all cylinders!