Dressing up

Options
Niki_Fitz
Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
edited July 2018 in Social Groups
What’s your body shape and what styles/cuts do you like for dresses?

Any favorite brands?

I tried on so many things today for weddings coming up. Looking for some inspiration and ideas!

Replies

• xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi @wellnesschaser ! I'm an hourglass shape and like dresses that cinch at my waist, sometimes with flowy skirts, other with shapely bottom to shape the booty. I think halter tops make my shoulders look a bit wide. Strapless or deep v-necks are my favorite. I love light materials for summer that float around you, or satin and silk when you want it to cling to the right places.

For wedding outfits I usually check Asos, they have a whole section of them but I don't know if it's available in the US. There's Nastygal as well, though you really have to sort through their stuff as most dresses are not appropriate for your average wedding.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    I have no shape. At my ideal weight I can wear a slinky dress, but I still have no curves. I put on weight in a horrible way....the love handles area is where the biggest deposits go. On someone with no curves to begin with - ya, it is just gross even though I'm actually not THAT overweight (about 15-20 pounds from goal).

So I tend to go for an empire waist with a flowy bottom. I can't do strapless very well because my shoulders are broad and dresses tend to just slide down (chest is not large enough to hold anything up LOL).

I can do a plunging neck line though since my boobs are wide spread, and if I'm not overweight, I love an open back (but with where my fat deposits, even a little over those are out of the question if they're low).

My last dress I bought on clearance from Neiman Marcus. I knew the style I wanted, so it was just getting the right size, and I know how their sizes run, so I guessed right. Dress fit nearly perfect off the hanger. Could have used one spot taken in a bit, but didn't have time to get that done.
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @xelsoo ASOS is a good thought.

I would love a true hourglass shape. I can fake it with the right waist. I’m flat from the side but from the front my waist is kind of square. This is post-baby, I wonder if my waist will cut in again someday.

So I found a Nordstrom maxi dress (on clearance!) with a deep V necklace, slim waist and then an a-line. The slip underneath is mid thigh, very pretty.

@honeybadger155 yeah I agree about that v neckline, it’s a great look imo.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am between an hourglass and pear... I love really tight stretchy form fitting dresses, just above the knee. I have a heavier chest so I can't wear really slinky tops. I used to shop at Bebe and BCBG but both stores left Canada. I love the dresses they used to have at Michael Kors not sure if he still has a clothing line, sometimes I find something at Guess/Marciano, otherwise I go to boutiques or Nordstrom. I am really struggling lately to find anything though so I am just wearing really old stuff I have.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have special events a few times a year and my go-to is Rent the Runway. You can do their unlimited subscription and get a bunch of pieces to try on, and then send whatever doesn't work back and get more. You can search reviews for people who match your height and measurements to see how it looks. Once you're done you can cancel. It's cheaper than a one-time rental. That's been super helpful as I've lost weight so I don't have a huge investment in clothes I won't wear again. I used to replenish my work wear that way as well when I needed it and swap it out for new stuff each week.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Lulus is great for dresses mostly because the online reviews are so detailed. People include their height cup size weight and measurements for what size they bought and you can sort by these!

They also have tons of cute dresses.

I also recently bought clothes from Showpo which I also now love. They fabric seems quite durable and not flimsy and the clothes fit like I was expecting them too.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    I have special events a few times a year and my go-to is Rent the Runway. You can do their unlimited subscription and get a bunch of pieces to try on,

I just browsed their site - I may very seriously sign up, just for work alone! My work wardrobe needs some serious updating, but I'm not in a position to invest in much at all, whereas this could work really, really well for me. Hmmmmmm.
  • DomesticKat
    Options
    I have special events a few times a year and my go-to is Rent the Runway. You can do their unlimited subscription and get a bunch of pieces to try on,

I just browsed their site - I may very seriously sign up, just for work alone! My work wardrobe needs some serious updating, but I'm not in a position to invest in much at all, whereas this could work really, really well for me. Hmmmmmm.

I don't know what deals are going on now but they have discounts on occasion for your first month's rental to try it out. You can also purchase any items you rent for a discount.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If I'm a fruit, I'm probably a banana. I also really like deep vs, but only if it's somewhat structured or I end up with gapping from not filling out the boobs properly. I do best with a sheath dress or a fit and flare. High necklines are great for creating the illusion of a more balanced chest when you're little there (IMO). I appreciate anything that's well tailored up top while flowy on the bottom, I feel more traditionally feminine on that style.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much a ruler, but can fake an hourglass with the right dress and a heavily padded bra. :tongue: Something with a fitted top and a bit of an A-line or flare skirt looks good on me too. Calvin Klein dresses seem to fit me pretty well and are good choices for weddings. Other than that I do almost all my shopping at Ross. I've been tempted by a few online ads, but they never seem to have my size.
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @DomesticKat I think Rent the Runway is my next stop. I browse their stuff for inspiration but haven’t tried them yet. I think I’m still adjusting to my shape and size and it’s making me neurotic. Tried on a bunch of things again today, no success. One event I have is “formal” for a 2pm August wedding and I’m reading in the ceremony. I’m lost there. Elegant sundress? My two friends attending & both my sisters are bridesmaids so it’s not like I’m going to take a clue from them!

@mom23mangos I’ll check out Ross. @RadishEater yes to lulus, what a selection.
  • DomesticKat
    Options
    @wellnesschaser RtR has a section with dresses for weddings and wedding guests so you may find that to be helpful. You can choose the formality in the search filter to narrow things down as well.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @wellnesschaser, we have a similar frame. These are all Ross finds for $20-$30, except for the bottom right which I got at Dillard's for around $100.

49euycvi4x6m.jpg
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @wellnesschaser, we have a similar frame. These are all Ross finds for $20-$30, except for the bottom right which I got at Dillard's for around $100.

@mom23mangos these are awesome. And you look fantastic in all, style goals! Looked up Ross and no online store unfortunately. That trumpet shape and showing some collarbone would be perfect. Now I can look for shapes, narrow things down.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    ASOS tall range and depending on what I need it for, I've had some good stuff from Boohoo's tall range. Cheap and basic but I got this maxi in the sale for £12 and I love it so much. My brother and sister in law just bought their first house so I'll probably wear it to their housewarming.

7pcjhkwseval.jpg

It has lovely keyhole back detail and a flounce bit to cover the boobs/top of your stomach which is great for eating. Not black tie appropriate, granted, but light and breathable for the weather.

Primark, depending on where you are, is great for the odd gem.

8otwnn0e0mz4.jpg

I wore that one for a wedding with pink court shoes and a fascinator.

I personally love vintage and thrifting too because the waists are a lot more flattering the further back you go than a lot of what you find today. I love a poodle style skirt with a sweetheart neckline. Again, covers a lot of sins when the party starts.

I have worn a lovely mixed and matched tailored velvet suit before with forest green wide-leg trousers because I was able to find the trousers on Boohoo but the black suit jacket in Zara (I wore a black cami tucked in from Stradivarius underneath). It was a very laidback boho style wedding so it fit right in.

I don't know if that helps any but those have been some of my questionable fashion choices the last couple of years. :lol:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have a fairly hourglass figure 32D, smallest waist size has been 25 inches (never more than 30 even at my heaviest 37 lbs above goal) with a booty, so depending on the occasion and how 'sexy' I want to look it has been either a fit and flare retro 50's style Dior type 'New Look' for office appropriate special event, OR a full-on Herve Leger bandage type dress for events at which I don't mind drawing extra attention to myself. As I am 54, my main issue right now is that my legs don't look as flawless without hose as they used to. Sometimes I compensate by wearing wild hosiery with a very plain slightly shorter dress.
    a7bwrf3lkll9.jpg
    Fave picture of hubby & I - at a friend's B&W wedding.

• Niki_Fitz
    edited July 2018
    Options

I personally love vintage and thrifting too because the waists are a lot more flattering the further back you go than a lot of what you find today. :

@glassofroses Good point, current styles don’t really do much for me, I’d do well to check the consigned places for different cuts. These dresses are so pretty. The waistline on the pink dress is super flattering.

@canadjineh You look so great in that narrow classic look. I’m waiting for a few things to arrive along those lines.

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    @wellnesschaser Thank you! It came with a waist tie which I can't live without, it's from a standard size range so I bought it in a UK10/US6 so it swamped me but covered my bum. My waist is 8-9inches smaller than my hipbone measurement so I just look like I'm wearing a rectangular sack most of the time in 'today's trends'. Part of me loathes high waisted jeans because of how they can give you a belly that doesn't exist sometimes but mid-rise just doesn't suit my body shape.

I'm very spoilt because I live in London so there are some truly beautiful vintage stores and know a few hidden gems like a market that comes to my university town where you just pay for your items per kilo. There's just something inherently satisfying about finding something that you really like and not really knowing or having any expectations of what it might be. Although I have to say, as I've slimmed down to a size 8, a US 4, sometimes a 6/2, there's less and less available because people are getting so much bigger. Then it just pays to know a great seamstress.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I love actual vintage 50's fit n flare, but find that my shoulders are too broad for the waist/hip size that fits me (or if sleeveless too much boob, lol, maybe a retro 'pointy-bra' might make the difference). Lots of cute styles on this thread.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I would go to Nordstrom and work with someone in the dress department, or their personal shopper. They really known their stuff, and can match your figure to the perfect dress for your occasion. No stress!