Half Marathon Training and Lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    So, I'm neither fast nor strong but I'm not running to win, just beat my last one. And I'm not lifting to compete, just to get stronger than I was last time. It's all about finding that balance. I really love both lifting and running and I believe that I will always be able to find a balance between the two regardless of what goals I set for either.

This is exactly it. For weight training, I want to progress - it brings me oodles of joy. For running, it's mostly about committing to the plan, following through, and finishing my race standing. Glad to know you've been able to find balance because some people basically tell me to stop lifting, that it's incompatible with running. and I'm just not willing to do that.

You don't have to!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Aside from the 1/2 marathon, what are your immediate goals - as in lose BF or maintain? Are you at a deficit or maintenance? Also, what are your goals re lifting?

Honestly before I decided to do the half I was at a really big crossroads/struggle point with my diet/exercise plan. I was getting bored of my program and couldn't seem to find one I liked or enjoyed and my new gym (I moved so I have a different location than the one I was at before) just doesn't seem to have a lot of weight equipment and a bunch of cardio machines, however I'm stuck with it for another 10 months so I'm trying to make due. I would like to lose some bodyfat, and ideally sit around 18%. I'm currently at a deficit, however depending on the day and my hunger level I'll eat my maintenance and not have a freak out about it.

As far as goals for lifting, I would like to get stronger in my lifts and gain some more definition throughout my body, however like I said before I've been struggling to find a program that I like. I would like to increase all my lifts, especially my upper body as thats my weakest point.

Ultimately though I don't want to just stop lifting because I recognize the importance of it for shaping my body and I don't want to lose my upperbody definition that I've worked so hard to gain by JUST running. I'm also at a point where I'm feeling burnt out/discouraged by my progress showing and the gym I'm at now.

Sorry - I realize I missed part of your comment.

What is it that you do enjoy about the programs you have tried and what do you not like?