Carnivore Diet???!!!

bigpapawes
bigpapawes Posts: 10 Member
Anyone out there doing a Carnivore diet?? If so what have you seen for results.
I have modified my Keto diet to a mostly Carnivore about 6 weeks ago. Truly amazed at the results I am getting. My macros have changed as I have reduced the fat to about 60% and increased the protein to 40%. I had read the increased protein would kick me out of Ketosis, but I have found the opposite to be true. I am still producing Ketones and the weight is falling off faster than before. I know this is not a longer term solution, but hell it's hard to argue with a Ribeye!!!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    At the top, there is a link that goes to stories and experience reports and stuff.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Glad it's working for you. :)

I think high protein can lower ketones but that is not really a problem unless you want ketones for medical reasons, IMO. There are ways to raise ketones if it is a concern - MCT will raise ketones reliably.

I'm mostly carnivore for now. It seems to work well for me. I may not eat this way forever, but I think I'll stay plant light for the foreseeable future. I often lurk in the group above. They're a good bunch that welcome a mostly carnivore member. :)
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    I'm 95% carnivore. I love veggies but just don't eat them too much. I keep my carbs under 20 total a day (truth be told usually 10-15 a day).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think high protein can lower ketones but that is not really a problem unless you want ketones for medical reasons, IMO. There are ways to raise ketones if it is a concern - MCT will raise ketones reliably.

I'm mostly carnivore for now. It seems to work well for me. I may not eat this way forever, but I think I'll stay plant light for the foreseeable future. I often lurk in the group above. They're a good bunch that welcome a mostly carnivore member. :)

I started this week with MCT and LCHF just over a week. I started MCT with just a tea spoon in my coffee and upped it to a tablespoon today. How much do you take? I think I will also checkout the Carnivore group too.
  • nvmomketo
    I was adding about a teaspoon, maybe two, a day in all of my coffees, but I drink about 8 cups a day so there wasn't much in each cup. ;)

I stopped adding it to coffee. I'm trying to get to carnivore so I switched back to cream. I have a hard time giving up my stevia... I won't give up coffee right now... And no one can make me!!! ;)
  • rsclause
    I am lucky, if the sugar bowl was removed from my house I would never know. Do you think I am good with one tablespoon daily?
  • nvmomketo
    rsclause wrote: »
    I am lucky, if the sugar bowl was removed from my house I would never know. Do you think I am good with one tablespoon daily?

The main problem with coconut or MCT oil is the stomach upset and diarrhea. If it doesn't cause loose BMs, then that's fine. If you get issues, just dial it back for a week or so then increase again in small amounts.

if you like the effect and want more, you can always add more as you go along. I would not add more than an extra 1/2 tbs at a time, and then I'd stick with it for a week before adding again.
  • rsclause
    Thanks, I'll ride with what I am taking for awhile as it seems to be working with no issues.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2018
    rsclause wrote: »

I wasn't sure if you were talking about a tablespoon of sugar or MCT.

The last half of my 52 weeks of medically therapeutic keto included the use of MCT. I was up to 3 or 4 tablespoons of MCT Oil per day without digestive problems but that is really a YMMV thing. I was not using it with increased carbs as I was still eating <20 carb grams/day. If it did put me deeper into ketosis (I didn't test), it had no effect on my purpose for using it (involuntary movement disorder) and certainly I did not notice any other "improvements" generally associated with it's use. Again YMMV. I don't necessarily think it is a "woo" product, it simply had no benefits I could perceive. I finally (after about 5 months) stopped usage to eat 400 calories of food versus MCT Oil. I also did not find it satiating like I do other fats with nutrients attached.
  • rsclause
    Thanks and yes I was referring to MCT. I will use up my big jug and re-evaluate.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    Inspired by the carnivore thread I tried it for a few days while my wife was out of town. I liked it, and it worked for me. Now that she is back, I am dutifully eating a serving of leafy greens/whatever a day. This is "almost" carnivore, but almost only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.
  • nvmomketo
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Inspired by the carnivore thread I tried it for a few days while my wife was out of town. I liked it, and it worked for me. Now that she is back, I am dutifully eating a serving of leafy greens/whatever a day. This is "almost" carnivore, but almost only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.
    :D

You'd probably be a "dirty carnivore". Sounds kind of bad doesn't it? Lol This is me too right now. I'm mostly there but I use some stevia and my whey protein powder has flax meal in it for some reason.

I'm not quite there. Still a carnivorous omnivore. I'm hoping to be all the way there within the month. Except coffee.
  • FIT_Goat

https://www.ancientgains.com/nutrition/binary-carnivore

:wink:
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    :D

You'd probably be a "dirty carnivore". Sounds kind of bad doesn't it? Lol This is me too right now. I'm mostly there but I use some stevia and my whey protein powder has flax meal in it for some reason.

I'm not quite there. Still a carnivorous omnivore. I'm hoping to be all the way there within the month. Except coffee.

I prefer the term "lazy carnivore."

I am really just keto, but some days I have zero carbs, and some days I have five. I did try a few zero carb days.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

I suspect all the coffee I drink may interfere with this full adaptation. I also don’t seem to make it more than 2 weeks without a single square of dark chocolate... dang it!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

I suspect all the coffee I drink may interfere with this full adaptation. I also don’t seem to make it more than 2 weeks without a single square of dark chocolate... dang it!

I didn't quit coffee until like month 5 or 6. So, it didn't hurt with adaptation. And, I went back to coffee around month 8. I just like it, and I don't notice any appreciable difference when I include some black coffee.
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 150 Member

How would MCT raise ketones? I got MCT oil. I just add it to everything?
  • FIT_Goat
    jrmie333 wrote: »

Yeah. But, I have to ask why you want to raise them. Outside of therapeutic objectives (seizures and such), I have never seen strong evidence that artificially raising your ketones, by adding MCT oil or directly consuming ketones, has a beneficial effect on weight loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    jrmie333 wrote: »

If your goal is body fat loss I wouldn’t use it at all.
    It’s an energy source. You would want your body fat to be your energy source more than straight fat poured onto your food, which already has fat, or into your coffee.