Keto flu after being kicked out of ketosis?

Options
Amy8Lyn
Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
Hello friends!

My first post here in LCD, but veteran MFP user! I have been vegan keto for well over a month (meat free for ethical reasons and dairy free for health reasons) and I have found that I feel great (I suffer from several chronic issues that keto seems to provide relief for). Well, as you can guess life happened and I had some unforeseen work travel come up and was unable to plan ahead. I was out of ketosis for about 24-48 hours, but went right back into my normal routine and was back in keto as soon as I was home.

My question is, since I've been back in ketosis I've been feeling really crappy! Achy, tired and just crummy...sounds like maybe keto flu? Whats confusing is that I never got keto flu the first time around because I am very in touch with my hydration and electrolyte needs and since I had been in ketosis for over a month I figured I would be fat adapted and have no issues. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm staying hydrated, getting my salts in and eating just as I always did so it's confusing. Thanks for your insight!

Amy

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto flu is an electrolyte imbalance so it could be that. When carbs go up, insulin goes up, and that signals the kidneys to hold onto more water and electrolytes. Once carbs and insulin falls again, you'll lose those electrolytes again. You may need more salt to replace the lost sodium.

I was camping the last few days. My carb level is typically close to zero but while camping I had nuts, raw veggies and a few marshmallows. When your carbs are almost nothing, that was a significant rise for me. I was very thirsty and retaining water. Now that I'm home and carbs dropped, I started to get the low electrolyte headache again. Some extra salt, beyond my usual higher than most people's amount, fixed me up within an hour. And I've been keto about 3 years. ;)

Try an extra cup of boullion or a half teaspoon of salt twice a day, and see if it helps. If it is too much, you'll just excrete it out in a day or so.

Feel better.