So day one down... ugh!

Options
TravelGurrl
TravelGurrl Posts: 19 Member
Yesterday was my first day. The sweets craving was horrible! I tried green tea, water, etc... none of it worked. So I ended up finishing the day at about 40 net carbs, after giving in.
So far today seems to be better. I had my two scrambled eggs for breakfast topped with a little no sugar salsa. For lunch I had my Folio (have you guys seen those?) topped with some homemade taco meat, lettuce and a bit of sour cream. I'm already planning steak topped with blue cheese crumbles and a salad for dinner. Maybe some added veggies if I'm really hungry.
I did get to the grocery to get some strawberries and blackberries... so hopefully if the sweet monster gets me again, I can grab a couple of berries.

I just trying to take this one day at a time, and hope each day will be better than the one previous!

Replies

• t66jackie
    t66jackie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Im 35 days in and ZERO cravings for sugar and I was a sugar monster. For me I had to go cold turkey otherwise I would crave it every day. Its kind of like ripping the bandage off. Probably by day 4 I wasn't feeling the pulls. Good luck
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes, hang in there! There are differing opinions on cravings, but for me, I could not feed them (even with keto-friendly alternatives, or things like berries) or they would only grow!

I also had to go cold-turkey and then after 2-3 weeks (often sooner) the cravings do subside and then once you are fat-adapted it seems that a small indulgence will not throw you into full-on cravings. But, until then, if you can keep from feeding the cravings, it will be easier.

I have found that at the beginning, the cravings are truly physical - and hard to resist! Later, once your body had adjusted, they are more mental.

I know you mentioned green tea, water, etc, but are you tracking your electrolytes? Staying on top of sodium, potassium and magnesium is very important (for progress and for cravings)

Many people find that when the sugar cravings strike, having sodium helps take it away quickly. For me, a bowl of chicken broth or a shot of sole helped A LOT, some people swear by having pickles too - that it takes away the cravings. (some say brushing their teeth works!)

Good luck!
  • Tracyramos1220
    Tracyramos1220 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Cold turkey here too. I’m on week three and no cravings. Feel great and losing weight. :)
  • courtneykapetanakis5960
    Options
    Hang in there im on Day 3 today and not craving sugar like I was on day 1!
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Right now I would say do not eat berries or anything "sweet" until you're fat adapted and in ketosis. Also it sounds like you're eating a lot more protein than fat. I would lower your protein intake and increase your fat. The higher your fats are the better this will be for you. Eat a full avocado at lunch, drink a bullet proof coffee/tea in the morning along with your eggs, butter EVERYTHING.... Also I can't echo enough make sure you're getting your electrolytes in!!! You need about 2 teaspoons of salt a day, measure that out in a baggie and eat it on your foods or just put some in your mouth and swallow it down with water. The avocado will be a great source of potassium for you and I'd suggest buying a magnesium supplement.

Hang in there...we've all been there and it will pass and before you know it you'll be an old pro and loving the keto life!!!

I too was a carb loving sugar addict and this way of life has taken that all away from me and I've never been healthier in my life. I've been keto now for 18 months and I don't ever see myself going back to a "standard" diet. I've lost 60 pounds in 18 months. It's been a slow go for me but this is a way of life. I didn't gain my excess 100 pounds in a month and I'm not going to lose it in a month either. I did YEARS of damage to my system with junk foods and under eating. I'm a breast cancer survivor and in put in immediate menopause so that I don't re-develop cancer so I lose slower than most (I'm 45 today)

You can do it... find your why and don't waiver. I tell everyone too find a why outside of the scale because that scale is the LAST indicator of true success with living a strong and healthy life.
  • TravelGurrl
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all! So today is day 3 and yes, the sweet cravings are just about gone. I am having a bit of a headache and the WORST indigestion!!! My husband and I have never been real meat eaters.. and last night I made small NY strips with blue cheese crust on them. I was miserable all last night and most of today. I didn't each my lunch of grilled chicken and a salad... instead I just ate a couple of boiled eggs. I'm going to take my salad and chicken home with me and probably eat it for dinner... along with some antacid.
    I keep telling myself, "It's going to get better, it's going to get better...."

• tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I’m sorry you’re enduring indegistion. No fun. I found this on ruledme and hopefully this can help you

https://www.ruled.me/faq/indigestion/

Also with the headaches.... SALT! Drink pickle juice, chicken broth or just put it on your tongue and swallow it down with water. One you do that you’ll feel better. You’re experiencing keto flu and the best way to combat keto flu is making sure your electrolytes are in balance. Electrolytes are KEY throughout you’re entire keto journey. If electrolytes aren’t balanced when you’re fat adapted it can cause a weight loss stall. So get those electrolytes in!!
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    tifano wrote: »
    I’m sorry you’re enduring indegistion. No fun. I found this on ruledme and hopefully this can help you

https://www.ruled.me/faq/indigestion/

Also with the headaches.... SALT! Drink pickle juice, chicken broth or just put it on your tongue and swallow it down with water. One you do that you’ll feel better. You’re experiencing keto flu and the best way to combat keto flu is making sure your electrolytes are in balance. Electrolytes are KEY throughout you’re entire keto journey. If electrolytes aren’t balanced when you’re fat adapted it can cause a weight loss stall. So get those electrolytes in!!

Love your insight! (and agree with all of the above!)
  • zonnebloem69
    zonnebloem69 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am glad to read all the advice.
    I started on Monday ( 4days ago) and don't see any difference on the scale yet. I have been entering all my food intake on MFP and stuck to the right nutrients.
    Most likely too eager. I am not giving up !!
  • TravelGurrl
    Options
    Okay - so today ends the first week. And as you all suggested, it has definitely gotten better! My biggest struggle is figuring out what to make for dinner! Indigestion finally went away - I suspect it was eating all that red meat that I'm just not used to. I did a keto test this morning and I'm still in the "none" range - lol! I figured it wouldn't hurt to look! I AM down almost 5 pounds already... be it water, lack of eating, whatever!

I bought some bone broth and have been sipping on a bit each morning... that seems to have alleviated much of the headachy feel. It's kind of still there, but I can deal.

My biggest challenge now: What to make for dinner at night! My husband is in full support of this, but is not doing the keto thing. So I have to be careful about cooking with all of that fat, otherwise he will be getting too much fat in his diet! Tonight we'll have having pork chops. I usually make rice with cream gravy and some green beans with that. (Yes, we're very southern!) I figured I could make him rice separately and tell him there's no gravy. But I'm struggling with the side dish. You guys have any faves?