Caloric Intake During Adaptation

Hey Guys,
Just finished my first week on Keto and during that time I've been reading so many resources online and watching YT videos etc to make sure I'm approaching it right. There are a fair few differing opinions on certain things - in particular I am unsure about what my caloric intake should be during the ADAPTATION phase (and all the calculators give me different numbers). I mean I understand that the basic premise of weight loss is to consume less calories than you burn to create a deficit, but I am not sure if I should calorie restrict initially whilst adapting to keto. I have come across a lot of advice to really push your fat intake during the initial stages in order to send a message to your body that you want to switch from burning glucose to burning fat, and also to avoid hunger from carb withdrawal/cravings.
For example, normally I would consume around 1500 calories to be in a deficit, but I am finding myself eating more like 1700-1900 calories at the moment. I have kept my carb intake super low, less than 20g per day. Protein is between 60-70g. I usually train at least 5 x per week (strength/cardio on alternate days).
I have also been using Ketostix and a breathalyser and both indicate I am producing ketones in the 'nutritional' range. Also getting a few side effects from the diet - insomnia, fatigue, nausea etc. I've definitely lost some weight this week but my guess is it's all water.
My stats - Female/33yo/SW: 75kg/GW: 63kg/176cm
So I guess my question is should I try to keep my calories down around 1500 or let my body adapt first and then look at restricting my calories in a few weeks when my body becomes more efficient at burning fat? Whilst fat loss is one of my goals, it is not the only reason I am doing this diet - it has been recommended to me because I have been suffering with inflammation (skin breakouts and digestive issues). I am more interested in doing the diet properly long-term to get the full benefits, which means proper adaptation.
Thanks!!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I might write more later but 1st things 1st: your fatigue and nausea is most likely from an electrolyte imbalance. Those eating very low carb usually shed water weight in the beginning and with the water you lose sodium. If you don't keep your sodium up you'll also lose magnesium and potassium.

If you have no medical reason to keep your sodium low, be sure you are getting around 3000-5000 mg per day. It will help you avoid the totally avoidable symptoms of "keto flu". 2 primary symptoms of "keto flu" are fatigue and nausea. My methods of keeping my sodium where it needs to be are 1) salty broth and/or 2) about 1/2 teaspoon licked off my palm and washed down with some liquid. No class for sure on the later but effective. Some people make "salty keto-drinks" to drink throughout the day. I'm not a fan of "salty" so I prefer to get it over an done.

You'll get a huge variety of answers/input to your other comments/questions. Up your salt intake and get rid of the sickness.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    I can only speak from my own personal experience on calorie deficit during Keto. I was already trying to eat at a deficit when starting Keto, so it was an easy switch for me. Nothing really changed except what I was eating. If I were NOT eating at a deficit, I would probably have focused on eating the right things first and then worried about a deficit once I was used to what I should be eating (and shouldn't be). Really, it needs to be your ultimate decision on what's right for you. If you can bang on get the Keto way of eating down right away and don't struggle with it, then do a deficit if you feel that's right for you. I know a lot of people who don't do a deficit at all and still lose. It's slower progress, but it's right for them. Hope that helps (but probably doesn't - LOL)