another newbie

Kerschel
Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
Hi all: Glad to find this group. I've been keto'ing for about 5 or so weeks. No great weight loss--around 5 lbs. But that is better than I've seen in a long time. Not finding it difficult, excepting all the "macro" stuff. Although I had a helluva keto flu cause I didn't know about the sodium. Trying to learn more via this group and other resources. Sometimes it feels like my full time job--and my full time job is insane!

I'm 5/6" and 170 lbs. I need to get to @135. My calorie limit is @ 1300 Carbs 10%; Fat 60%; and Protein 30%. Seem right?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Macros look great to me.
    Best of luck to you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Ditto. :)
    Welcome to the group.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Welcome!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    5 pounds in 5 weeks is about right. I've been reading the forums for years including the low carb and keto forum/s and rarely see anyone lose much more than a pound a week unless they're starting at an incredibly high weight.

Keep chipping away at it and you'll be amazed at how slim you are come holiday season. Macros look fine.
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    Kerschel wrote: »
    Hi all: Glad to find this group. I've been keto'ing for about 5 or so weeks. No great weight loss--around 5 lbs. But that is better than I've seen in a long time. Not finding it difficult, excepting all the "macro" stuff. Although I had a helluva keto flu cause I didn't know about the sodium. Trying to learn more via this group and other resources. Sometimes it feels like my full time job--and my full time job is insane!

I'm 5/6" and 170 lbs. I need to get to @135. My calorie limit is @ 1300 Carbs 10%; Fat 60%; and Protein 30%. Seem right?

Your macros look great to me and 5 pounds in 5 weeks is really good. My biggest piece of advice is to keep it all as simple as you can. No need for a ton of fancy ingredients and copycat recipes - enjoy a diet heavy on meat, eggs, and non-starchy veggies, use salt liberally, drink plenty of water, and you’re golden.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    skctilidie wrote: »
    Kerschel wrote: »

Your macros look great to me and 5 pounds in 5 weeks is really good. My biggest piece of advice is to keep it all as simple as you can. No need for a ton of fancy ingredients and copycat recipes - enjoy a diet heavy on meat, eggs, and non-starchy veggies, use salt liberally, drink plenty of water, and you’re golden.

Yep. I personally see some folks making "it" way too difficult. Perhaps that is just part of a learning curve or keto currently being a fad thus so many varying approaches/opinions. It is a sustainable, practical way to lose weight and eat long term if one does not get try to get "all scientific" about it....to the Nth degree. Whether I eat "strict keto" or not and whether I am in ketosis or not, really does not matter to me. My low carb, high fat way of eating has removed the hunger I previously experienced, taken away my cravings (and bingeing) and made maintenance much easier. For me.
  • Kerschel
    Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
    thanks everybody. I appreciate the down to earth advice. Not getting too strung out on every bite, but seeing the big picture! One pound a week is golden.