Hidden Sugars

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
What are some of the foods/condiments/etc that you have found to contain hidden or surprising sugars? I have a bunch of salt packets in my drawer at work. I just pulled one out to see if it by any chance had the amount listed (I'm Keto and am trying to get a better idea of exactly how much sodium I am consuming). The packet doesn't list the product weight, but it does list the ingredients. What? Ingredients? I thought it was a packet of SALT? Silly me.

Iodized Salt (Sysco) Ingredients: Salt, Sodium Silico Aluminate, DEXTROSE, Potassium Iodide, and Yellow "something" of soda

Yikes. I mean, I'm sure that it is a minuscule amount, but if you are like me and use a lot of salt, it is bound to add up. Guess I'll be sticking with my Pink Himalayan Salt from here on out.

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't worry that much about ingredients and focus more on the nutritional info and try to avoid foods that have sugars and are low in carbs and/or high in fiber. I avoid condiments, read hot sauce labels carefully and also inspect labels of foods that would appear to be high fat/low sugar like ranch dressing and cheese. But if sugar is one of the ingredients, if the carbs/sugars are still low, I will eat it if I want to and haven't had anything else that day that would put me over my goal.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definitely always check sauces and dressings. Many of them have a lot more sugar than you’d expect. Also... yogurt... some are very low in sugar, while others have a ton.