Face rash

Options
saresimsr36
saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
So I'm one month into keto now and have developed minor pimple like rashes around my eyes, chin and a little on my cheeks! Is this normal? I haven't been as high in fat as I should be but am sticking to my keto carb levels and eat lots of protein. I started taking a multi vitamin a week ago, but the rashes really bother me. Advice?

Replies

• saresimsr36
    Options
    Ps bother me for vanity sake more then physically
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,700 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Don't know if it's fat-intake related or not. We all handle foods differently. And there are so many potential medical causes too.

But I used to be sensitive to extreme fat intake. Twenty years ago I'd binge on daily deep fried fast food (fish burger or chicken nuggets and fries or onion rings) and break out in adult pimples. When my meals weren't so extreme, it didn't happen. But once it started, it took awhile to go away.

Nowadays, I breakout a little bit, a lot of the time, and my doctor prescribed metronidazole (for rosacea) which helps. I also don't eat fast food anymore; and most of my fats are low-cholesterol (chicken, fish, nuts, olive oil, avocado). So it's very manageable now.

If you think you might have the same reaction, could you switch up your types and amounts of fats and see if it makes a difference?

• saresimsr36
    Options
    My main fats come from eggs, chicken, olive oil, salad dressings (very limited) light mayo etc. I try to be very conscientious of the fats in my diet. I really haven't done anything different but cut out carbs.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It could be the vitamin. I had been keto for a while and suddenly started getting daily digestive issues. I scoured my diary trying to figure out what I could have been eating to cause such a problem. Finally two weeks in, it dawned on me that I had started taking the multi vitamin. I quit taking it. Problem solved. Who'd a thunk? A multi vitamin.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The breakout sounds like a histamine reaction more than acne. Have you made any other life changes besides keto? Did you change your workout schedule or purchase new skin care products or soaps? Did you increase any particular foods that might be allergens like nuts, shellfish, or eggs? The vitamin is a possible culprit, too. The only way to be sure is to systematically eliminate items and see what has an impact on the breakout or go see a dr (who may tell you to systematically eliminate items and see what has an impact on the breakout)

Product-wise proactive works for me if i have a breakout.
  • Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Some people do experience a keto rash. I haven't experienced it myself so I didnt look into the root cause. Maybe search the Keto subreddit and see if other people's reactions match yours.
    That said, you are in the first month so keep in mind you could be expelling toxins. Also, hormones are stored in fat, as your fat burns you are releasing hormones which could cause some pimples.