How did you find Keto?

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
What made you decide to give it a try? How long have you been following it? Are you Lazy, IIFYM, Clean, VLCHF, etc? Do you think you can eat like this forever?

I just love hearing everyone's stories, they are always so inspiring!!

Replies

• mommafruitcake
    mommafruitcake Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I found Keto through a friend on Facebook who coaches. I couldn't afford to pay for a coach, and due to lots and lots of lovely gastric and hormonal issues, I was already eating pretty clean and felt fairly confident I could achieve the macros and nutrition on my own.

I was actually vegan for years, which was wonderful for about two of those, then suddenly the thyroid issues started and I felt TERRIBLE. No amount of tweaking my vegan would work. I even tried vegan Keto for the first month, and I just felt worse. I think I lost two pounds, but I could barely even remember a four-item grocery list.

So I took on the meat, I cut gluten years ago because of the gastric stuff, and I do my best to stay as raw veggie-wise as possible, eat only grass-fed or cage-free animules that I source myself (hormonal issues have been SOOOO MUCH BETTER staying away from anything from a factory farm.) I'll eat dairy if I know it's clean. I basically eat like I did as a vegan, but I eat the meat and dairy in small amounts. Just enough to amount the protein I'm supposed to have, and the cheese because it's freaking delicious.

So I guess I'm clean? Or whole foods? Or something. I don't know. LOL.

I don't choose to eat clean because I'm fanatic or judgmental. It's expensive, and I have to seriously weight and portion EVERYTHING I eat. I was just willing to do whatever I could to fix my hormonal issues. I was tired of being sick for no reason, and it's seemed to solve that.

I do feed my kids this food, as well, because I'm so afraid of them growing up with the same issues I have. They aren't keto, but I keep them as clean as I can with junk stuff for treats VERY VERY OCCASIONALLY. I know most of what I've dealt with was from eating total crap my entire childhood and my body and hormonal system just not developing in a healthy way. Nobody likes poopin' blood. HAHA.

Keto is amazing. I can remember things. I have more energy. My skin is so soft, and my hair has grown back where it had fallen out from thyroid. I've lost 20 lbs so far, but even if that stopped, I wouldn't. It sounds crazy, but I can even see more clearly again. My vision had started to become fuzzy for some reason, and I was just ready to hit the optometrist, but oddly enough...that has gone away now. Which is a huge and pleasant relief!

I will be glad to get through this phase of weight loss so that I can, at the very least, cut back on the meat. It's not something I truly enjoy after going so many years without it, but clean protein sources on a vegan diet tend to be high in carbs. I do look forward to the carb cycle days (if they ever come) when I can choose to eat beans instead of meat. I'm not sure I'll ever give up that delicious bone broth, though, omg.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    My husband and I tried Keto about 2 years ago on a whim. I have been trying to control my weight pretty much my whole life...and not always in a healthy way. When I joined MFP back in 2011, I lost weight quick just from calorie deficit and exercise. I am not one of those who thrives on exercise though and I slowly started to gain it back once I started skipping the gym. The calorie deficit wasn't enough. So I struggled for years before deciding to try something else. We tried Keto for only a couple weeks but immediately became discouraged because I only gained weight and all the cheese was making my husband sick (who's lactose intolerant or sensitive, at least). Some of my friends decided to start doing it off and on. I watched their successes (and failures) over the next 2 years. Finally when my BFF and I went on vacation in May, I saw how easy it was for her to manage it, even when we were out of town, having a great time. When we got back from vacation, I decided it was time I tried it out. It took me a month to actually start, but I finally did on June 21st. So I'm 1 month in and while I haven't lost as much weight as I thought I would by this time, I'm feeling better about myself, my progress in size, etc. I have to remind myself this is not a race and just because she's lost so much weight, doesn't mean I will. She's been doing it a lot longer than I have, she's much better at water intake than I am, and she actually works out. LOL - something I do very little of.

I currently do strict Keto, but once I get to my goal weight, I plan to do lazy Keto to maintain, as well as stop restricting calories so much. Honestly, the calorie deficit is what kills me, but the moment I increase calories or go over even a little, I gain the next day. So I'm trying to find my balance.

<3
  • imagine_that
    imagine_that Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ...and lost a ton of weight almost as a side effect. ...I'm loving the food we're eating, I have so much more energy than I used to, I just feel so much BETTER that I really don't think I'll ever go back to the way I ate before.

First, I definitely wish you good luck! But, I don't think you'll need luck. YOU GOT THIS! :) I quoted a few things you said that I totally agree with. I feel so great. 6 weeks into this and my allergies are gone (complete side-effect). My allergies used to bother the crap outta me! I feel great lugging around less weight than I had been, too. But yeah, I like this way of eating enough that I will probably stick close to it the rest of my life after reaching my goal weight.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Last year, I started to gain more weight and couldn't go on low fat diet any more because I was hungry and snacked all the time.I felt sleepy and sluggish all the time. I thought I had emotional problem or lack will power.Then I watched Netflik and You tubes about sugar and food addictions.I understand the working of human bodies better.The more you eat sugar and carbs the more you will be hungry for it. So, you will be fat and hungry for the bad foods that make you fat in the first place. I learn that the only way to stop food addictions and food cravings is to quit it.So, I quit sugar and carbs,I've been on keto diet for only 2 months so I still miss it a little but I don't want to eat it. I'm losing weight on Keto diet like never before. I feel better ,more happy.I have more positive outlook on life. Keto works for me . My husband quit sugar now which is good because he is T2D. He still eat too much carbs.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I saw it mentioned on reddit when i was looking at weight loss info on there, and did some reading. The thing that prompted me to try was someone saying you can make it as easy or hard as you like. I started easy, then got more careful logging etc.

Broke a very long plateau and did it for a few months. My weight loss stopped and I got disillusioned but in hindsight, I was cycling a lot and my body comp was changing. I am back at it 5 years later, 6 months in now. Still cycling and not worried about the scale, but noting the extra belt holes etc as indicators it's working.

I think it's a WOE you need to discover and research yourself, not just do it because some d-list celebrity tried it for a week.