I feel scared... (Article)

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
...whenever I have a hard workout coming up -- a tempo run, speed work, mile repeats. Or when I line up for a race. Even now, I get jitters. (Don't get me started on pre-race anxiety dreams.) This used to annoy me. After all these years, why should a lousy long run still give me butterflies? Why do I lie awake the night before a track workout, wondering whether I'll hit my goals? Why does my heart skip a beat as I wait to hear the gun go off?

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/its-ok-to-be-scared

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I don't get that way about training at all. To me it's just another workout I need to do, whether it's a tempo run, long run, or a hard strength-training session in the gym. Now races are another story. I am nervous the day before and rarely can sleep that night. I noticed in my race last Saturday when they started counting down 5....4....3....2....1 my heart rate went from 55% of max to nearly 70% in that 5 seconds. But I love that feeling of race day and that is one of the things that keeps me going.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was talking to one of the ladies in my gym about not being able to keep up with a running group. And she was like "those women do intervals and have coaches." and I was like "I do intervals." Apparently they terrified her.

I'm a little apprehensive about the 9 mile run in 2 weeks and have no idea how I'll pull off 13.1. But I never thought I was going to be a runner anyway, so there is that.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten nervous about a workout before, I agree it's just something I've got to do to move forward. A race, that would definitely make me nervous! But that's a good thing, it would probably help me run faster than in training.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just love this article, thank you for posting. It's also a very timely read as I'm SO scared about my 1st 10k Saturday. But like others have said... I never thought I'd be a runner, so there's that:)