3 questions about weight loss help for a class assignment! Thanks in advance!

dynamicwon
dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
What are your greatest challenges in losing or maintaining your weight?
How do you deal with yo yoing or regaining and losing over and over again?
What are your desires in this area?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    1. I like to lose slow so it takes a long time. Also weekends and nights out can be tricky to fit in. Also getting enough protein.

2. Well I bulk/cut so I am used to gaining and losing the same 10-15lbs on purpose.

3. Desires in which area? Like my goals? Right now to reach my physique goals, gain some strength and be fit along the way.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    1. Dealing with spontaneous food outings with family. For example, if I've pre-planned my day and already spent all my calories except for pre-planned dinner calories and my husband last minute decides he wants to go out to eat for dinner instead of having what I planned to make. If I had been warned earlier, I could have budgeted my calories better to perhaps not go over. Otherwise, you are pretty much guaranteed to wipe out any deficit you created and potentially several days worth.

2. By consistently hitting the weights hard, day in and day out and staying active. My hope is that at least a portion of weight gained will be in muscle. Sort of an unintentional bulk.

3. To reduce body fat and gain strength and mobility.
  • gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    1. I find the social aspects of food the most challenging. It’s difficult to track accurately when you’re going out/eating at a friend’s house. I also find this ties into finding a good mindset - I don’t want to avoid socializing in pursuit of keep my diet “perfect” so it’s been a bit of a challenge to find a healthy balance.
    2. I’m lucky that I haven’t struggled much with yo-yoing and have found it relatively easy to maintain weight after losing it, because I’ve changed my habits. I do check in with the scale regularly, and course correct (cut calories for a short while) if I find my weight trending upwards.
    3. I feel better when I’m comfortable in my body, and as someone with a desk job, I need to work to stay active/fit. Short term, my goals are to look good for my wedding (in a bit over a month). After that, my goals are more fitness based - getting strong, being fit, continuing to be fit as I get older.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    1. Learning to say no to yummy treats (or just have a very small portion)
    2. By staying on top of it - as soon as I gain more than a kilo, I buckle down and am extra good until I'm back where I want to be.
    3. To stay lean, fit and healthy for the rest of my life.
  • FitSeachely
    FitSeachely Posts: 74 Member
    What are your greatest challenges in losing or maintaining your weight?
    Staying motivated and consistent every day of the week especially on days where I’m tired or emotional. I can deal with celebrations and holidays no problem as long as I’m in the right state of mind.

How do you deal with yo yoing or regaining and losing over and over again?
    My last 2 weight gain in the past 10 years were due to major events (2nd pregnancy and husband’s passing). I had to learn how to better cope with my emotions and connect with the why I “binge” eat and go out of control. It usually starts with a craving however I came to the realization that the craving is not as much for a certain food as much as a certain feeling. Since food will not bring me to that feeling I’m looking for, I now work questioning my craving and looking inward at how I feel. If the craving is really not out of hunger, I will do something to help me reconnect with that emotional state I’m craving (happiness, peacefulness, security...) such as meditating or exercising.

What are your desires in this area?

My desire in the weight loss area is to find balance and lead a long, active and healthy life. I want to be a role model for my daughters.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    My greatest challenges:

The unexpected. Like a previous user stated - you can budget all you want, but then you get a surprise invite to dinner with family, or something like that.
    Also, sweets. I have kids, kids get occasional treats. In the past, I used to partake along with them. Now I feel I can't, or I have to limit myself to a small serving. It is frustrating. Luckily to them bananas are still treats, so there is that.

Dealing with Yo-yoing.

I haven't really struggled in this area. I lost weight when I was working out, I maintained when I wasn't, and I don't count pregnancy and breastfeeding as yo-yoing. The weight I am trying to lose is a gradual gain through 3 pregnancies and the death of my mother, it was 6 years worth of really slow gain with pregnancies in between. Not yoyo.

What are my desires?

Lose weight that threatens my health. Gain strength. Improve my lifelong health for the sake of my family. I want to be a role model for my children of a happy, healthy, active life. I want to show my children that healthy eating involves the occasional indulgence with self control. I want to show them that healthy weight is normal. That activity is healthy.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    1) What are your greatest challenges in losing or maintaining your weight?

Honestly, I work a desk job, and I like food. Well into my early 30's I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight. Then I got a desk job, and it all went out the window. Trying to count every damn bite is just more work than I have the time or energy for, so I'm trying to find a method that works for me and my lifestyle (giving a variation of IF a try that just slightly more regimented than what I do naturally).

2) How do you deal with yo yoing or regaining and losing over and over again?

Outside of an injury that laid me up for the better part of a year, I haven't yo-yo'd beyond a few pounds. Once I drop a few, if I can maintain that for a couple weeks I don't tend to go back up. It's getting it off that's the hard part for me.

3) What are your desires in this area?

Just to get "my" body back. Fitness is especially important with my racing, but as far as losing the weight, just a matter of wanting to be comfortable in my clothes and not always worried about covering everything up...