Keto vs. Paleo vs. Clean Eating

Options
linjnew
linjnew Posts: 11 Member
Hello all, I get so confused, bought a Keto book, bought a Paleo book, but really just want to eat clean, where can I go for that information? Is it true if you read the ingredients and you can't pronounce one then you shouldn't eat it. Haven't had lunchmeat in 3 months, couple pizzas, sparingly pasta, using Paleo hack to stay away from bad foods...any thoughts?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I follow what I consider to be "Clean Keto". So basically, I shop as much at the Farmers Market and my local health food store that I can. Organic, local produce and meats. When in the local grocery store, I shop the perimeter. There isn't much in my house that I eat from the pantry, nearly everything is perishable.
  • MomsOutToLunch
    MomsOutToLunch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question! There is so much out there that it's hard to know whats good and what bad. I've also started to look at this specifically for my "genetics", heart disease and diabetes run in my family so I look for lean meats and low sugars
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question! There is so much out there that it's hard to know whats good and what bad. I've also started to look at this specifically for my "genetics", heart disease and diabetes run in my family so I look for lean meats and low sugars

Just an FYI, dietary fat is not linked to High Cholesterol nor does it increase your risk for Coronary Heart Disease. Ancel Keys theorized that dietary fat was a cause of CVD/CHD, but that theory was never proven and has actually been debunked several times over. Now, heredity can certainly play a role in your risk factors, but dietary fat still doesn't impact your health negatively.

Just information sharing, not judging your choices.
  • lerosado78
    lerosado78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I'm really focusing on carbohydrates, 60 grams or less a day. and the food contains more than 10, because I try to avoid it. I drink a lot of water. I divide my weight in two and those are the ounces of water that I consume and sometimes I consume more. I do this because I am diabetic and I want to regulate my levels ..
  • littlegibbs62
    littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Perlmutter. https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Maker-Power-Microbes-Protect/dp/0316380105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534342429&sr=8-1&keywords=brain+maker

Hi newest book is excellent and features clean eating that helps the gut/brain axis.
  • reality7001
    reality7001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Keto and Paleo would not work for me as I love my food too much and don't want to cut out any food groups

Clean eating to me is nothing processed and home made

I have lost 93.5lbs in a little over a year clean eating 90% of the time - I still have meals out, alcohol and take outs every now and then :)

That's what I've been doing but I've found it difficult to eat out ( with the exception of maybe a salad. ) After checking official nutritional menus - there's way too much sodium
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    To me, clean eating basically means eating mostly non packaged foods. I do eat some, but it's all simple ingredients. No ingredients you can't pronounce.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Keto and Paleo would not work for me as I love my food too much and don't want to cut out any food groups

Clean eating to me is nothing processed and home made

I have lost 93.5lbs in a little over a year clean eating 90% of the time - I still have meals out, alcohol and take outs every now and then :)

That's what I've been doing but I've found it difficult to eat out ( with the exception of maybe a salad. ) After checking official nutritional menus - there's way too much sodium
    Yes, but eating out isn't something you do every day. I think it's totally fine to eat out every once in a while. You can be mindful of your choices, but don't sweat it. You enjoy the meal, and get on track the next meal.