Losing with your SO

KelseyRL
KelseyRL Posts: 124 Member
Is there anyone here is trying to lose weight with their husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/whoever?? My husband's gotten unhappy with his weight and would like to trim up but our approaches are pretty different. He's always been super supportive of me using MFP and weighing food and things, but he's certain that he couldn't make it work for him. He likes to focus on exercise and eating 'healthy foods', but that's about it.

Is there anyone else trying to support their partner with this and not quite sure how to do it?

Replies

• gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    I wish my SO would take an interest in tho stuff (mostly because it would make it easier for me). I think it’s great that your husband wants to take action if he feels he needs to.
    I think it’s fine if you both take on different approaches. I know I’ve had to figure out what works for me - you probably have too - and he probably wants to do the same for himself as well.
    If you’re seeing results and he’s not, odds are he’ll ask you for tips, which will likely be much better received than if offered unsolicited.
    I’d say that if you’re trying to be more supportive, look at the ways he’s supported you and try to emulate that. Let him do his thing, praise his successes and be a sounding board for his frustrations.
  • amitacharaya1994
    amitacharaya1994 Posts: 2 Member
    Loosing weight it difficult, but having a fitness band to help you monitor your steps would be great. I use Soulfit fitness band to track my steps during workout. You can try it too, buy it from https://bit.ly/2GVKi3E. It helps in tracking calories, blood pressure, steps and more. Its of a great use.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Me! DH and I have a history of exercising and getting healthy together, when we first moved in together we were in the best shape of our lives. He introduced me to lifting and we both watched our macros and logged our meals. As always, life happened, I lost my job and thus our gym memberships, we moved in with his parents and ate like them.

FF to now, 3 kids later, I decided to get healthy again. He wanted to with me, but had to have minor surgery so he put off starting. After he healed, he joined a gym. He went for a couple months, but his interest has waned. We did meal prep together, but then life happened and he lost his job. Our grocery shopping has changed. He quit logging his food and started spacing out his gym visits. I quit too, but only for a couple of weeks. I've fought tooth and nail to get myself back into the food logging habit.

For me, I'd rather just be doing it myself. I want him to eat healthier and lose weight, he needs to lose weight. But because our motivation levels do not match right now, it is frustrating. I feel like I'm putting out an A effort and he's in the same class but putting in C work, you know? It's okay that he isn't as into it as me, and I try not to frustrate him. I know he's job searching and going through a lot. But it doesn't make it frustrate me less.
  • heavenlyml
    heavenlyml Posts: 3 Member
    I'm having almost the same issue as ExistingFish. My husband hasn't lost his job (sorry to hear about yours) but he's not motivated. He has started going to the gym because he's seen me have some success, but will not log foods, change what he's eating, or how much. Our gym has tools to measure body fat, and he's almost at 29%, the heaviest he's ever been. Our gym gives free "check-in's" with a trainer every 30 days, and he refuses to use it because he says he can "do it on his own." I started using the free trainer, and in 6 months have dropped 7% body fat, but he won't admit that there's a correlation between the two things. He won't even go to the doctor to get a physical (it's been 5 years since he's been to a doctor.) I cannot tell him what to eat or how to eat, I share the ideas that my trainer gives me, but he never wants to try anything. I'm stuck.