Fasting Blood Glucose

fdhunt1
fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
OK, I started an ongoing glucose tolerance test on foods that I eat to find the culprits that raise my BG. what I noticed is that my fasted BG numbers start out high (>125) when tested first thing in the morning. They later climb down, say before dinner (approx 98), then I run my tolerance testing.

Has anyone had a similar experience with elevated blood sugars first thing in the morning in a fasted state? If so, what did you do to get a handle on them. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2018
    Morning blood sugar is always higher due to the cortisol response that’s involved in waking you from sleep.

Mine will run high 90’s first thing in the morning then drop to 70’s if I remain fasted.
    High 90’s is pretty much my normal if I test within minutes of waking up.

It may just take time to bring your numbers down.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    I will get up at 4-5 am and test at 12 noon before my first meal, and it will still be high. Trying to find out why and control it.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    it is typically high after waking. I will say my fasting numbers came down after being keto for about a year. My last fasting number with a blood draw at the doctor's office was 95.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I think that's fairly common for diabetics and it's called the dawn phenomenon.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    It's pretty common with everyone, I think, it's just a bit higher with diabetics.

My fasting BG is always my highest of the day. The only time it get low is if I've fasted a few days.
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    I have the same results, my fasting numbers are always highest when I am waking up, and go back down to a normal number through the rest of the day. I've heard that it is called the Dawn Phenomenon and from what I've read, there really isn't any known solution to it. So keep calm and keto on. ^_^
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    That first hour off the bed is a tricky number to rely on. Keto has normalized mine to be pretty stable even off the bed but before Keto it was always my highest number of the day outside of post exercise times. It usually went back to range within an hour and stayed that way.

Lots of things can affect our numbers but there are a few big culprits. Do you have a lot of stress because that will affect it big time. Are you sleeping properly? Being Keto you like are detailed on your foods but its always worth a double check: Do you have high glycemic hidden carbs somewhere in your diet and may be overlooking it? One of the biggest marketing scams is "No sugar added" yet items are packed with sugar. Look at your non sugar sweeteners. Everyone reacts to those thing differently. I can't touch Splenda but can do Equal and Truvia all day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I have the same results, my fasting numbers are always highest when I am waking up, and go back down to a normal number through the rest of the day. I've heard that it is called the Dawn Phenomenon and from what I've read, there really isn't any known solution to it. So keep calm and keto on. ^_^

Metformin is the only solution that I know of beyond fasting.