I hiked my first 14er yesterday!

Options
lddfsu
lddfsu Posts: 38 Member
It was the toughest thing I’ve ever done, but I’m glad I did it.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Neat!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    You got me thinking about doing a road trip next year out to CO. Was looking at 14ers.com and notice the details on a lot of those require a 4x4 to get to trailheads. Some I can park further away and add a mile or so, but I keep thinking I want to buy a Jeep Wrangler. It's not in the budget this year or next unless something big changes. :'(
  • lddfsu
    lddfsu Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The one I did, Bierstadt, was paved to the trailhead.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I drive a Gen4 Toyota Prius, which is pretty low to the ground. It definitely would not be good for if there are big bumps, ruts, or very deep mud or snow. It's great for mileage to get from Iowa out to Colorado, though! If I can make a trip next year, I think I'll just park further away if needed.

Interestingly enough, I used to drive a Toyota Yaris and did lots of road tripping around the U.S. for vacations (I drove that car in 47 states and 1 Canadian province). One night in late Dec., I spent all night trying to get from Colorado Springs to the Grand Canyon. The Hwy 160 route over Wolf Creek Pass was especially slow going, but I was still able to make it with that little car. However, I would not have been able to park at some trailheads because stopping makes it more likely I'm going to get stuck.