Dinner ideas

Hello girls!
I had bowel surgery a few weeks ago and lost a few kilos during recuperation as my system adjusted and my diet was limited to very simple food (low fiber, low fat). Also not exercising has helped keep my appetite at bay as I've more or less been sitting around for 5 weeks resting!
Now I'm beginning to feel well enough to do some longer walks and more activity (although I need to stay clear of heavy lifting and abdominals for a couple of weeks longer) so my appetite is getting bigger.
My issue is that I don't want to gain the kilos back, I want to keep them off and get 3 more off too, and build some strength.
I'm having trouble finding simple go to dinners that are easy and super low calorie. I would prefer something simple in the line of a tin of sardines and a baked potato, boiled chicken breast and sweet potato, or carrot soup and a slice of bread. I can't eat raw fruit or vegetables (preferably boiled) and no nuts or seeds, and nothing fatty.
I absolutely don't mind bland and simple, I just need ideas for some easy go to dishes for dinner or lunch. Especially when the family is having a calorie heavy meal, I actually enjoy bringing my own bowl of soup or banana sandwich so that I don't have to worry about going over the limit. When I do proper meals and recipes I always end up above my daily kcal limit so I need something that's "safe", low-cal and uninteresting so I don't overeat!
Any ideas? What are your go to meals when you need to stick to your kcal goals?
Ah sorry for the long post...

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I tend to pan-fry or bake some kind of protein (shrimp, tuna steaks, chicken breast are my go-to's) and then pan fry or steam a big pile of veggies. Different spices and herbs add flavor and variety. I tend to add garlic and a little salt to most dishes.

Very seldom do I use butter or other fats along that line, although I do use grapeseed or olive oil to cook in, but just enough to lightly coat the pan. A good non-stick pan is the big key :)

You can also put a variety of foods into tin foil "packets" and bake - I've done this with a WIDE variety of meats, veggies, potatoes, etc.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2018
    Do you like cabbage soup? That’s my favorite to cook up in big batches, and it keeps well.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    This is a great site with tons of low-cal meals.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/

I'm also a big fan of simple lean protein and veggies for dinner. Grilled fish/shrimp/veggies.

• VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Asparagus soup is delicious! If you have a blender, you can boil/saute most green vegetables with onions, then blend them with lemon juice, yogurt, and a little Parmesan cheese and it's delicious and low calorie! I've done this with asparagus and peas and it's very good. Spenatsoppa (Swedish cabbage soup) with boiled eggs is also a favorite of mine.

Non-soup related, I'll roast a sheet pan of veggies (asparagus, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.) at 200-220℃/400-425℉ with garlic, Parmesan, red pepper flakes, and a teaspoon or so of olive oil, and they're always delicious :yum: