Will I get to 5K?

Options
kbcara
kbcara Posts: 105 Member
Hi all

Other than knowing how far I travel using map my run, and knowing how long I run for I have no other way to calculate speed... and so I only have an average speed [the walking and the 'running' combined]...

I've just finished week 4... averaging 6.75kmph and I made it 3.71km in the podcast time (33 mins)...

Given as we progress, we run more than we walk, and therefore average speed should increase... is it likely I'll make 5k (rather than just 30 mins) by the end?

Anyone finished / done 5K / know how far off I am?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You will be able to run 5k by the end. It will probably take you more than 30 minutes to finish, but you will capable of running an entire 5k race at your own speed.

And it will be fabulous and you will tear up a little to think about how far you've come.
  • kbcara
    Options
    I reckon you're right about tearing up - I feel like that each week now!

BUT I was wondering [for interest] how far off 5k in 30 mins I'm likely to be.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I've seen everything from 28 minutes to around 50. Mostly in the 40 minute range, though.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    When I completed the program I was running a little over two miles. It took me another month to get to the full 5K and I am still doing 5K in 45 minutes. Just keep running and you will keep progressing :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You could try to estimate the distances of your runs, if you plot them on a satellite photo of your area. I have a rough idea by now (pick the same route every time still) where my running sequences start and end. If you use the time-based rather than distance-based programme, you obviously know if the interval is for instance 90 seconds long, and can from there calculate your speed fairly accurately.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    But that's if you ran the 5k today. I promise you that you will slow down a bit then speed up lots before the program is over.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You will be able to run 5k by the end. It will probably take you more than 30 minutes to finish, but you will capable of running an entire 5k race at your own speed.

And it will be fabulous and you will tear up a little to think about how far you've come.

I totally agree. You will be able to do it, even if it takes more than 30 minutes.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh sure u will!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just did Week 8 Day 2 (running for 28 minutes) and I ran 2.5 miles, which is .25 miles less than what the app said I should be running. I think the program is designed for running 10 minute miles and I'm around 11 minute miles. But if I had to, I think I could run the 3.1 miles (5 K) in around 35 minutes today. I have another 5 weeks before my 5K so I can work on upping my pace.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Your time will also drop a few minutes because of the race.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I take my phone with me when I run for two prime reasons .. 1) to track my run via GPS so I can verify the distances, and 2) so I have music to listen to. Tertiary of course is any feedback the app can give me on my performance.

I used a variety of apps while training for my first 5K.
    * Zen Labs C25K pro (was FAOTD on amazon while back)
    * AccuTrainer (free)
    * RunKeeper (non-elite)

I don't recall if the Zen Labs one could give the average and current pace while running. I seem to remember it just telling me when to start running, or start walking for its single program covering 8 or 9 weeks of training.

AccuTrainer was a slight improvement as it was a smaller program then the Zen Labs one, and offered training for distance or for time. The distance relies on GPS or steps and isn't very accurate for either, so I opted to just train for time.

Right now I'm only using RunKeeper, and you can configure it to tell you all kinds of information at half mile or 5 minute intervals. (Time, Distance, Average Pace, Average Speed, Current Pace, Current Speed, Current Split Pace, Current Split Speed). If you link it with heart rate monitors you can even get more information (Average Heart Rate, Current Heart Rate, Average Heart Rate Zone, Current Heart Rate Zone). You can set target paces and it'll tell you if you are ahead or behind and by how much. I find this helpful now that I'm working on upping my speed so I know if I'm going too fast, or need to pick up the pace.

When I finished the program, it was taking me 5 minutes warm up walk + 30 minute jogging to cover the 5K distance. I ran my first 5K this past sunday and my finishing time was just over 32 minutes. You may be able to count on some improvement race day just from being psyched up about it. But you performance will be just as impacted by any differences from the course you train on vs the race. If you know where you'll be racing, then I'd recommend doing your training as closely to the same conditions as you can (hills, time of day).
  • kbcara
    Options
    I don't have a high tech phone and the podcast on my ipod includes music, have been mapping my walks so can calculate my distance and average speed [including walking] but wasn't sure what progress to expect. Thanks for all the feedback.

But my average on my last week 4 was 6.75kmph [inc 16 mins running] and today week 5/day 1 was faster 6.89kmph [even though 1 less minute of running!!] so onwards I go....

Obviously to hit 5k in 30 mins, I need to hit 10kmph so er no... lol.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Find a 1/4 mile track (or 1600 meters, I think) and run around that at an easy pace. Then you'll be able to easily extrapolate your run times.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I forget that not everyone has phones with all the gadgets built in. In that case, I would second vardaemi on finding a location of a known distance and periodically checking your times against it.

The tracks are usually 400 meters (just shy of 1/4 mile). 13 times around (well, 12.5 actually) covers the distance of a 5k. An average pace of 2:24 per lap would have you completing the distance in 30 minutes. It's quite a feat to work up to. I'm still working towards it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Reading lucasmoten's reply I realise I'd be hitting a wall if I'd have to run around a 400-metre track a total of 13 times. 5K in the neighbourhood, however, sounds perfectly doable one day. I still have hateful memories from my highschool days at that blasted track, where I felt like the biggest failure of all times - and began to hate certain forms of exercise for years to come.