Lactose Problems

Any one else have a hard time with the whole milk, cream or half and half??

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2018
    Clarify what you mean by "hard time"?

I eat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and use half and half in my coffee regularly.

ETA: Oops! I just noted the title of the thread. I'm not lactose intolerant.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,750 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm not lactose intolerant either, but I have a dairy sensitivity that developed when I was an adult. I became more and more susceptible over a couple of years and now will break out like poison ivy/oak. It's nasty.

Why do you ask? I love love love dairy but can't snack on cheese anymore. So I eat tree nuts, peanuts, turkey jerky, tunafish salad, chicken burgers; and nut & soy dairy substitutes because creaminess is so yummy (see "love love love" above) - but because they have carbs and not a lot of protein, it's an indulgence.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    the aged cheeses shouldn't have much actual lactose in them - it is consumed by the fermentation process, so it might be something else in the dairy that is causing a problem

there are lactose free milks like FairLife that are supposed to be good, but if it's not actually the lactose that is causing your issues, then that might not help
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    There's a great YouTuber out there her name is Michelle Rock who really tries to stay dairy free. I know when I don't eat much dairy I feel so much better.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I loved milk all my life until my late twenty's. If I consumed any milk or ice cream I got the "two minute warning". I was using almond milk in my oatmeal but haven't read the label since starting keto. If it does fit make sure you get unsweetened.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Dairy is a known inflammatory, so for some people, even if you don't have an intolerance, it can still wreak havoc. I'm sensitive to lactose and casein type A1, so I'm completely cow dairy free.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,750 Member
    Dairy is a known inflammatory, so for some people, even if you don't have an intolerance, it can still wreak havoc. I'm sensitive to lactose and casein type A1, so I'm completely cow dairy free.
    A lot of people think lactose is the only problem, but it's the casein (dairy protein) that gets me.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    A lot of people think lactose is the only problem, but it's the casein (dairy protein) that gets me.

Yup. I was doing Raw Milk for a while because it still contains Lactase, so in theory, if I was only Lactose Intolerant I should’ve been fine. I would love to track down some good ole Jersey cows (Casein Tyoe A2) to see if I do any better, but haven’t really started that search yet. I do occasionally consume goats milk products and do okay. They’re Type A1 Casein but the amount is so small and I consume it so infrequently, that I seem to do okay.
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 150 Member
    I'm not lactose intolerant either, but I have a dairy sensitivity that developed when I was an adult. I became more and more susceptible over a couple of years and now will break out like poison ivy/oak. It's nasty.

Why do you ask? I love love love dairy but can't snack on cheese anymore. So I eat tree nuts, peanuts, turkey jerky, tunafish salad, chicken burgers; and nut & soy dairy substitutes because creaminess is so yummy (see "love love love" above) - but because they have carbs and not a lot of protein, it's an indulgence.

Same with me
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 150 Member

I think for me 2
  • LifeChoiceGrammy
    LifeChoiceGrammy Posts: 121 Member
    Thank you everyone!! Have tried cream and half and half and definitely have 2 minute warning!!! Will stick with almond milk and look into the blog!!