Intake Question

Options
rll22
rll22 Posts: 39 Member
Ok I had surgery last Tuesday so I am just over a week out, at what point do you start drinking 2 ounces every 15 minutes? I’ve only been drinking one and sometimes it hurts when I take an extra sip and sometimes I find myself sipping 2 ounces in 15 minutes with no pain...I don’t want to over do it but I have noticed I am thirsty, and I have only reached 65 total ounces one day so far. Most days are around 45 total ounces, any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @rll22 first off congrats on having your surgery! I had mine a little over 2 years ago. I don’t recall how many ounces or whatnot but sounds like you may be drinking too quickly. I still sometimes struggle with eating or drinking as slowly as I should. Maybe try taking smaller sips, which I know can sometimes seem impossible since we are already eating and drinking much smaller amounts than previously. You are in the phase which I found most frustrating - but also the most rewarding. You are Re-learning your body, including how much you can have, how fast or slow you can eat or drink and even what foods you can tolerate. I promise you that this all gets better and you will feel amazing before you know it. Maybe consider consulting with your surgical team if this persists.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Like you I was told 2 ounces every 15 minutes but it didn't work for me. I did 1 ounce every 10 minutes. I used the timer on my cell phone to alert me and from the time I got up until I went to bed, I did tiny sips every 10 minutes. I did follow the 30 minute and 1 hour after my meal of pureed foods where I didn't sip. Even though 2 ounces doesn't seem like a lot with a swollen stomach it can be hard.

On my 2-week follow up I explained to the nurse how I was getting my fluid and she said that was fine. She also said after surgery the inside of your stomach is about the size of a ballpoint pen, which is about an ounce. She also said it depends on how quickly that swelling goes down that determines how much you can initially sip.

I was probably a full week before getting to the 64 ounces daily.

Congratulations and you are doing fine.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I was told 8 oz in a hour, which is the same amount over time but I noticed then and still that it’s a bit harder to drink in the morning and then in the evening it’s easier, I’m not sure if that’s just in my head or not but I just sip small amounts all day long. It takes some time to get up to all your goals, listen to your body and share your concerns with your doctor/medical team at follow ups. Your doing great :)
  • rll22
    rll22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I just wanted to make sure That it’s “normal” because I don’t feel hungry or thirsty for the most part so I really don’t want to over do it and stretch out my new stomach! I am having a hard time even getting 60 grams of protein in a day so today I mixed some almond milk with the shake to thin it out some....I’m liking thinner liquids. Hopefully this helps! I know I need to get the protein in so I’ll have the energy!!!
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @rll22 just sip... sip... sip. :) you need at least 65 ounces a day to stay hydrated... if you get dehydrated, it is SO dang hard to catch back up. It probably took me a few weeks to get the protein in...
    Congrats!! And you wont stretch your tummy so soon. :) (I'm 14 months post-op, and I forget sometimes, and go to chug water--been really hot here-- and it comes right back up. I took my measuring cup, and figured out, I've got a six/seven ounce stomach now.)
  • clsumrall1
    clsumrall1 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    @rll22 how are you today doing on your liquids. My surgery is in 2 days. Hope you are well and happy
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @clsumrall1 lots of good luck and wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    liquid temperatures can affect you as well just after surgery. I find I can't do super cold drinks (i'm 9 days out of my revision surgery, my first sleeve surgery was in 2015)

I find I do better with room temperature or warm liquids.