Ketone Test Strips

Options
amdev23_23
amdev23_23 Posts: 68 Member
So despite the controversy about whether or not to use ketone test strips... I decided to pick some up while I was at Walmart tonight. It was really a curiosity thing. I started Keto about 3 weeks ago and never got “Keto flu” or feel like I have any signs of ketosis. I’ve been really good about tracking and staying within carbs, so curiousity for the best of me and I bought the strips and peed on one.

Now I opened a whole new can of worms..

My ketone levels were high, it was the 2nd to darkest, maybe even closer to the darkest. So now I’m concerned and not sure what to do. How do i lower ketone levels? Should I be concerned. Everything I’ve read has information on how to get in to ketosis and optimal ketone levels (which is way lower than where I am) but nothing about what to do when ketones are high. Any advise appreciated.

PS: I’m not a diabetic. That felt pertinent to add..

Replies

• PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You're fine. The urine strips test for excess ketones. Blood ketone testing gives us the better info. The urine strips are ok at letting you know that you are getting into ketosis but if you want to know the more important blood ketone levels then you should get a blood tester. They have glucose/ketone combo monitors if you want to test your blood glucose too.

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the urine strips. Blood ketone meters are a better guide. I've done both to compare them and the urine strips never match. I can have low ketone blood numbers which are much more accurate while my urine strips are the brightest of colors. I've also had it in reverse where I'm at a 2.7 ketone level when the strips show nothing. Problem is the blood strips are pricey at around a $1 a test. I'd also suggest ignoring the scale as you never know what you are losing. Is it fat or lean mass? Big difference. If you have access to a Fit3D scanner at a Dexafit type place its about 54 bucks for a year to use their advanced equipment that will show what your real progress is.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Early on ketostix tend to show higher levels. Once keto adapted it tends to drop a bit.

Dehydration is a common cause of dark strips. Try drinking a bunch more and then test to see what happens.

Time of day affects the strips. They tend to get darker as the day goes on, and are lightest first thing in the morning due to higher cortisol and the dawn phenomenon.

Plus it varies a lot between people. I can eat zero carbs and stay at trace (or even negative) results. The only time it gets moderately dark is when I fast a few days. This became even more true as time went on. For the first 6 months I was trace to mild ketosis. Now I am usually negative to trace. But I know that I am in ketosis unless my body is doing something really weird. If we eat very low carb, we are ketogenic.

ETA unless you are an untreated T1D or an uncontrolled alcoholic, you will not need to worry about too high of ketones. If you are worried, you could always eat more carbs, or increase your protein (for a smaller effect) while decreasing fat - especially MCTs like coconut oil which do raise ketones.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There’s no reason to be concerned.
    Drink some water and they’ll go down.
    If you are not a T1D refusing to take adequate insulin then you have absolutely zero to fear from ketones. And honestly, even for the T1D, the stones themselves are not what’s harmful. It’s the severe dehydration and the way if affects electrolytes and blood ph that’s the real danger.

You’re just a low carb dieter wasting a lot of ketones. It’s possible you could be slightly dehydrated. That’s all.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    amdev23_23 wrote: »
    So despite the controversy about whether or not to use ketone test strips... I decided to pick some up while I was at Walmart tonight. It was really a curiosity thing. I started Keto about 3 weeks ago and never got “Keto flu” or feel like I have any signs of ketosis. I’ve been really good about tracking and staying within carbs, so curiousity for the best of me and I bought the strips and peed on one.

Now I opened a whole new can of worms..

My ketone levels were high, it was the 2nd to darkest, maybe even closer to the darkest. So now I’m concerned and not sure what to do. How do i lower ketone levels? Should I be concerned. Everything I’ve read has information on how to get in to ketosis and optimal ketone levels (which is way lower than where I am) but nothing about what to do when ketones are high. Any advise appreciated.

PS: I’m not a diabetic. That felt pertinent to add..

Also... that bolded part... everything you’re reading regarding optimal ketone levels is in relation to blood testing. Not urine testing. So you cannot even get the information you are looking for from urine strips.

Think of them like a pregnancy test. Either positive or negative. The color means nothing.
    You can determine if you are in ketosis if they give you any color at all. That’s all.
    If they show negative though, that doesn’t even mean you’re not in ketosis. You can get a false negative. But you won’t get a false positive
  • amdev23_23
    amdev23_23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone, it put my mind at ease. Like I said, I only got them to see if I was in ketosis, it was a curiousity got the best of me situation. Then when it was so dark, I was a bit concerned. But now I’ll just move on knowing it was positive and that’s all I wanted to know in the first place.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Keto pee sticks are like pregnancy tests, you either are or you aren't :)

Like others have said, you are only 3 weeks in so likely not fat adapted yet, that can take up to 6 weeks if not longer. Once you become fat adapted the amount of excess ketones that are excreted though urine goes down dramatically. I'm two months in and unless I'm dehydrated, my stick is barely pink.**

**Yes, even though I know the pee sticks aren't the most accurate, I just like to pee on things. Kind of like pregnancy tests, I think I tested the entire first trimester with all of my pregnancies LOL
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Save your money; you don’t need pee strips or blood testing kits.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »
    Save your money; you don’t need pee strips or blood testing kits.

^^^This.

I think if you take care of keeping carbs low and fat high with a adequate amount of protein you will be there. The scale and waist size will confirm too.