Reduced BMs

Options
DisneyDude85
DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
Hello All!

I am sure this has been brought up in the past, but for some reason I can't find a search function within the group discussion board :( While eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) I was having BM's (bowel movements) at least once a day, quite regularly in the morning. Since starting the Keto diet 2 weeks ago, I am down to once every other day, and it certainly isn't anywhere as, ahem, substantial as previous BM's. Is this normal? Thanks in advance for any information!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Pretty normal.

Animal products are more completely digested so if you increased that, bulk will go down. Carbs really do add a lot of bulk due to fibre and incomplete digestion.

As long as you don't still feel the need to go once done, or aren't just producing a couple of little pellets, just enjoy the savings in toilet paper purchases. ;)

If you do still feel full or are making the pellets, increasing your fat can help, as can more magnesium.
  • jpk3k9
    jpk3k9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water can help, too. The keto diet requires more water intake than many other diets. Try upping that and see if it helps. Good luck!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Balancing your electrolytes is super important. You are likely needing to add some Magnesium if you aren't already. If I don't take my 500mg of Chelated Magnesium per day, I just don't go.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    jpk3k9 wrote: »
    Drinking more water can help, too. The keto diet requires more water intake than many other diets. Try upping that and see if it helps. Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion! I would drink more water, but I am already drinking over a gallon a day, some days pushing 1.75 gals. These Arizona summers are brutal. Haha!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Pretty normal.

Animal products are more completely digested so if you increased that, bulk will go down. Carbs really do add a lot of bulk due to fibre and incomplete digestion.

As long as you don't still feel the need to go once done, or aren't just producing a couple of little pellets, just enjoy the savings in toilet paper purchases. ;)

If you do still feel full or are making the pellets, increasing your fat can help, as can more magnesium.

While it is true about the decrease in bulk, a properly working digestive system will completely process the food that you eat in between 48-52 hours for the most part. So, even if there is less, you should still be having bowel movements on a regular basis. The problem is that on Keto you are dumping water and electrolytes. Your stool needs water in order to pass, thus the different textures from watery through rabbit pellets. The texture of your stool is more about the amount of water than anything else. So, drinking lots of water is part of the equation. The other part is Magnesium. Magnesium is needed for the involuntary muscle contractions of the bowel which is what actually moves the stool to the *kitten* to be expelled. It's a complex system, but drinking adequate water and Magnesium supplementation are also a good first line of attack.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    OP, if you choose to up your magnesium, do it gradually and I'll suggest anything other than magnesium oxide. The oxide tend to be the least expensive, most easily found and the most hazardous to maintaining tidy undies.

It stands to reason if your overall food intake is lower, your fecal output might be somewhat lower though I will agree what you are eating has some impact (poor choice of words?) on output.