The case against sugar

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I will give it a listen!

Hyman has a good interview with Nina Teicholtz too. It's less the case against sugar but more of the case for fats.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing this. I will give it a listen!

Hyman has a good interview with Nina Teicholtz too. It's less the case against sugar but more of the case for fats.

Yes I've seen that one. Another good one. Hyman does a lot of good interviews with some very insightful people. This video here is a long one but they cover a lot of very good info and discuss a lot of the controversial stuff that I find very interesting and I'm currently involved with with my own weight loss so it's nice listening to hypothesis I and others in our group are finding to be very much in line with what they are discussing here.

One of the constant things for example that I here all over this forum is how CICO is an absolute and nothing else matters to weight loss. I and 24 others I am involved with in our weight loss have proven this to be absolutely not true while combining intermittent fasting, low carb and short eating windows. There are folks in our group that have been doing it for over a year now and myself for 6 months. Even with calorie surpluses of up to 800 calories per day with no activities done over two week windows at at time supervised by doctors and dieticians we still lose fat.

As mentioned by Taubes and Hyman starting at around 21:30 in this video, fat loss and our metabolisms can be completely and efficiently manipulated to quicken fat loss far beyond what CICO can do. Hormones change in our bodies while eating/living the way we are. We have (in our group) consistently proven that some of us can double the fat loss of what conventional CICO methodology can do. But everyone is different so results vary but are still consistent in the conclusions. We are not the only group doing this. People are doing this all over the world. We will all see much much more of in the near future across the globe as truths come out about Diabetes especially. It's not just simply eating Keto/LC that has these results. It's combining it with small window eating Intermittent Fasting that has they very drastic (and safe) weight loss results. Every individual in our group has improved their health markers along the way too. The only issue that comes up on a regular basis are electrolytes which we all know how that works.

At 23:50 in this video Taubes starts to explain (and Hyman discusses his own patients) how hormone control works and gives an excellent example (same one our dietician uses) of how because of lack of insulin hormone production in a Type 1 Diabetic they can consume massive amounts of calories per day (massive caloric surplus day after day) and still continue to lose weight. Which can be a bad thing for Type 1 patients of course but it still proves insulin is a huge player in fat storage in the human body. Hormones manipulating their metabolisms. Those are facts, not theories and more and more doctors and dieticians are bringing these things to light now and they even discuss this evidence going on in global medical meetings currently.

Old science and theories don't want to let go because those scientists/lobbyists etc will lose their status in the community; fact.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I hear you. For some of us, the type of foods you eat really make a metabolic difference. It seems most true for some with metabolic syndrome/IR.

I know that I was losing 2-3 lbs a week on a 1500 kcal diet when I kept carbs to under 20g. If I ate around 2200 kcal with higher carbs, I was gaining quickly. If I ate that with very low carbs, it was maintenance. Mathematically, it didn't make much sense.

It just isn't true for everyone though. We have some members who lose based solely on calories no matter if it is high or low carb.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I hear you. For some of us, the type of foods you eat really make a metabolic difference. It seems most true for some with metabolic syndrome/IR.

I know that I was losing 2-3 lbs a week on a 1500 kcal diet when I kept carbs to under 20g. If I ate around 2200 kcal with higher carbs, I was gaining quickly. If I ate that with very low carbs, it was maintenance. Mathematically, it didn't make much sense.

It just isn't true for everyone though. We have some members who lose based solely on calories no matter if it is high or low carb.

Yes very true. That has been my observation too. Some people absolutely have to keep very close eyes on their CICO or things just won't happen for them with weight loss. I think it's very bad advise for anyone to tell folks that it's "this way or it won't work" Just not true due to the large variance in peoples metabolisms and especially as you say with the insulin resistance folks. Whole different ball game there. Like yourself I play around a lot with experimentation with my weight loss to try different things to see how my body reacts. As do folks in our weight loss group. And we find very different findings from person to person even when we try to compare very similar people with similar BMI's, health markers, age etc.. I find it all very interesting and never close my mind to any of it. Also very interesting watching doctors and dieticians learning along the way too.
  • rnjenny8599
    rnjenny8599 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So, new question-regulate thru taxation or awareness? I see changes weekly at my local grocery-new sweetners flours, etc things that show me market driven changes are taking hold. What say you?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    So, new question-regulate thru taxation or awareness? I see changes weekly at my local grocery-new sweetners flours, etc things that show me market driven changes are taking hold. What say you?

Despite the fact that I was employed in the tobacco industry in the 1980s and 1990s and am no longer employed in that lucrative industry due to the efforts of Dr. David A. Kessler, I love his position and lectures on Obesity and would like to see him even more focused. The video below is just one of his videos on youtube. If one does not have 55 minutes, he does cover similar content is shorter videos. All are worth a listen IMO. Why do people (generally speaking) eat excessively when they know it is not of benefit in their weight loss efforts?

With this, I will again suggest also the books and videos by Stephan Guyenet. These guys to me...are brilliant and on target. Here's a video by Dr. David A. Kessler. He was the commissioner of the FDA during the 1990s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rFEbGYnEE&t=61s
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Despite the fact that I was employed in the tobacco industry in the 1980s and 1990s and am no longer employed in that lucrative industry due to the efforts of Dr. David A. Kessler, I love his position and lectures on Obesity and would like to see him even more focused. The video below is just one of his videos on youtube. If one does not have 55 minutes, he does cover similar content is shorter videos. All are worth a listen IMO. Why do people (generally speaking) eat excessively when they know it is not of benefit in their weight loss efforts?

With this, I will again suggest also the books and videos by Stephan Guyenet. These guys to me...are brilliant and on target. Here's a video by Dr. David A. Kessler. He was the commissioner of the FDA during the 1990s.

Yup good video kpk54.

Here's another good one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4pymVNIFZY
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that one. I got a kick out of hearing all the "buzz words" used in R&D.