cholesterol lowering foods.

Options
I want to find out what specific foods lower cholesterol.

Replies

• DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You're probably best to talk to a doctor or nutritionist about cholesterol management through diet. However, I've been told that increasing fiber consumption can help with cholesterol. And a vegan diet is, by definition, cholesterol free so that may be something to keep in mind.

Have you tried researching it? The first thing on my Google search was this article from Harvard: https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol
  • GoldieAuStein
    GoldieAuStein Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My problem is not cholesterol but rather triglycerides. The first thing on the list is lose weight. Well, with thyroid levels too low, and doctors not knowing how to treat people without thyroids, how the bleep are we supposed to lose weight?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    There is no food that helps to lower cholesterol. Losing weight and eating a well balanced diet is what will work. Don't worry about eating low fat either, it's bad science that dietary fat increases cholesterol.
  • littlegibbs62
    littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    With cholesterol it's more about "what you don't eat" rather than "what you eat." A great easy-to-read, lay-person book is Cholesterol Myths by Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eric Westman.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,689 Member
    Options
    I posted this on the "most filling" thread, but it relates to lower cholesterol, too. Just FYI.
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    I switched to low carb in May and now have excellent blood test results and NO cravings (and have lost about 25 pounds since then - almost at goal). The proteins keep me full.
    • high protein(60gm): fish, chicken, nuts, egg-based protein powder, beans (no red meats or dairy)
    • Lots of water (and extra salt to keep electrolytes level)
    • Low carb (<100gm): mostly starchy veggies, beans, soy, and non-dairy substitutes)
    • Normal amount of fats - but low-LDL varieties: tree nuts, peanuts, avocado, lite(flavored) olive oil to cook, and olive-oil based mayo.
    zozztl5pz11z.png