Living The Lifestyle 8/7/201

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!
Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Todays topic: Foods you like.

Do you have any food you have been staying away from that you feel it is not worth having but want it?

Do you continue not having it even if it’s eating at you to have some or do you have a serving and be fulfilled and walk away or do you totally give in and eat more than a serving?

How do you feel about your choice afterward?

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Friday - misterhub (Greg)

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Do you have any food you have been staying away from that you feel it is not worth having but want it? Cheese steak

Do you continue not having it even if it’s eating at you to have some or do you have a serving and be fulfilled and walk away or do you totally give in and eat more than a serving?
    I order and eat a large even though I am full on half of one.

How do you feel about your choice afterward? some times I am not over full and other times I feel like why did I eat that much and wasted pts./calories when I didn't need to and feel miserable. There are times I share with the wife instead of ordering two. Better choice of course.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a cheesesteak in years. My WW center is across from my favorite steak shop too. I used to have a frequent buyer card. Of course now I am think about them. Maybe when I get into Onederland I will have a small one just to touch bases. It doesn't eat at me.

I have gotten to the point that I can walk away from pizza with a slice or two and a salad but I am still at risk. I usually feel pretty good about that.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm pretty good at having a reasonable portion of most things and then moving on. Some foods that used to be problematic with portion control aren't any longer (e.g. chocolate can stay in my pantry for months now).

A high risk food that comes to mind is brownies. I rarely bake them because I know what the outcome will be. I'm involved with volunteering for a big multi-day long distance cycling event at the end of the month. The organizer just sent a link about a bakery in Green Bay that has gluten-free brownies. Now I've got brownies on my mind!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat pizza. I suppose if you gave me the WL magic pill and I could just eat whatever, I’d probably be eating pizza several times per week.

But it wouldn’t be like the old days because I don’t like that stuffed to the gills feeling.

That and chocolate cake. And brownies and cookies. and dark chocolate candy. I fit some in but it’s a rarity. I’d rather have real food.

Calories, points, money, it’s all about the budget.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Do you have any food you have been staying away from that you feel it is not worth having but want it?

YES!

I eat Natures Own Granola. It has a bag of chunks that I can eat it like candy. There is a sweet crunchy treat that is always more than I need.

I have limited buying it for occasional treats but it is too easy to tell myself it “healthier” than eating a big bag of M&M Peanuts like Pre WW.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Funny you ask this Jerry @Jerdtrmndone . Just yesterday someone asked me if I miss having pizza. I've not given it up, but I eat far less of it than I used and I do miss it. I don't crave it though. Following GOADie advice: I didn't give it up while losing because I wasn't willing to give it up for life. Still not.

I have it occasionally and when I do, it's a lot less than I used to eat. It's not worth it to me to have as much as I used to, but I've come to grips with reining myself in. The switch flipped for me: it's just food. I choose to have good pizza when I have it, or it's just not worth the cost to me.

How do you feel about your choice afterward?

Honestly, I feel great about it! I still remember the first time I scaled back my pizza intake while on WW. It was completely foreign to me to enjoy the flavor in a quantity that didn't make me feel bloated. Why I ate as much of it (washing it down with several beers) and literally making myself uncomfortable, I still don't know. However, now I have a couple small slices and keep moving. Whoda thunk pizza could be diet food?