How do you get to the fat targets?

Options
zanyterp
zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
I am considering attempting keto; but when I look at my food diary, I am nowhere near the fat targets (even when I try to plan out meals/foods, it does not seem to be coming close). How do you reach the fat goals…or it is about making fat bombs and planning ahead on when to eat them? (I am sure that is oversimplifying it, significantly, but I am not seeing how to get that much fat.)

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I haven't really totaled my fat grams but I have increased it:

Bacon, sausage eggs and cheese for breakfast (leave some fat in the pan for the eggs)
    MCT in my coffee
    Olive oil or fatty dressing on my salad, more eggs (hard boiled) almonds, walnuts, avocado and protein for lunch.
    Veggies roasted in olive oil or coconut oil and a steak, beef, chicken or fish.
    I guess I should do the math but I am enjoying not logging too much right now.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I avoid going over carbs, make sure I hit my protein, but fat isn't something I aspire to hit. It's more about just keeping me full and using it to feel perfectly fine eating at a calorie deficit. A lot of people who do keto follow this approach.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    When I track, I don't really pre-plan anything. Right now I'm following a Carniovre diet and not tracking at all.

That said, I found, for me at least, that just eating whole foods and cooking with healthy fats like EVOO, Avocado Oil, Bacon Fat, Tallow, Ghee, etc. that I was easily able to eat an adequate amount of fats.

What are your goals? Perhaps the fat goals are too high? I've never eaten a Fat Bomb and have never needed to.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For me protein is the only number I try to target.

Fat and carbs are upper limits - numbers that I do not go over...if I'm under them, then I'm not concerned about it.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    Thank you, all.
    @rsclause & @WholeFoods4Lyfe: how are you counting the olive oil when you are cooking? My fat goal, at 65%, is 159g. I am hoping to get to where I don't have to track (and not gain it all back again; glad to hear it is possible)
    @Running_and_Coffee: thank you; glad to hear it is possible to be/feel full
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I really don't count. I just make sure I am using "good" fats and fatty food. As long as my carbs stay low I figure the rest will work out. Fatty meat will help with both fat and protein.
  • janra01
    janra01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee helps. Just remember fat is a limit, of a goal. It’s helpful when you’re first starting because it satisfies your hunger.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,422 Member
    Options
    I count my fat and I definitely eat some fat when I'm hungry between meals. My favorite snack is 2 ozs of cream cheese (20 grams of fat!) and boy it is yummy!! Nuts are also great as a snack to bump up your fat.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you all
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    For me protein is the only number I try to target.

Fat and carbs are upper limits - numbers that I do not go over...if I'm under them, then I'm not concerned about it.

+1

Yesterday I was slightly over on protein. I got in about 2/3 of my fat grams and less than half my carb limit. I saw that as a successful keto day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose body fat, you do not need to ever hit your fat “goal”. It’s not actually a goal. It’s a limit.
    Protein is a minimum goal you definitely want to reach or exceed.
    Carbs and fat are limits you never need to reach.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you
  • beautifulchaos135
    beautifulchaos135 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been adding MCT oil to my protein shake. i3zvz5x4newy.png
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have bulletproof coffee some days and I use homemade fat bombs to curb my sweet tooth and add some fat. I do plant-heavy keto, so I’m not having all the meats all the time. That gets to be too much for me. I don’t always hit my fat goal, but like someone else mentioned, it’s a limit. Falling short of it is totally fine. Base it on how you feel. To achieve ketosis, you need healthy fats to be the cornerstone of your diet, but that doesn’t mean you have to go overboard on them. :)
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you
    thank you, as well, for letting me know that the fat bombs can help with the sweet tooth
  • LeLum5
    LeLum5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bacon!! Heavy whipping Cream in my coffee...avocado on my salad.. Lots of cheese..fattier meats like chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.. keto whipped cream made with swerve for dessert (when I'm craving sweets)...all of these things are examples of what helps bring up your fats but as some else stated you don't have to reach that number for daily fats its more of a guideline not to exceed
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for a peanut butter cup fat bomb that I love!! There are a ton of fat bomb recipes out there that will help you reach your fat macros. But honestly, I wouldn’t worry too much about reaching your fat macros as your body has enough body fat it can pull from.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you; that has helped this week as I tried to stay low carb/high fat. and mostly succeeded
  • astripli
    astripli Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Make sure you use healthy fats when cooking, i made my own version of keto coffee that i love. It has coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, salt and stevia. It tastes like a cappuccino! It helps keep me full till lunch and gives me an energy boost. I also like to have almonds with my lunch sometimes. And bacon makes everthing better for dinner. Sourcream, cream cheese, and fatty meats are also good for fat. I dont stress to hit my fat goals everyday either, i just use them to help balance out my meals and keep me full. Listen to your body. If your hungry when you shouldnt be, up your fats. If your able to go from meal to meal without feeling hungry and snacking, your fine. Snacks are your worst enemy on tjis diet. I found that out the hard way. The longer you are able to go in between meals without feeling hungry, the better.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    Thank you.
    Does the fat & being fuller between meals also help with the afternoon crash (such as the one 5 hour energy uses in their commercials)?