How to test drinks for sugar

Options
catherineg3
catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
I’ve been served non-diet sodas on a few occasions. The taste should be obvious but I’ve gotten so used to diet drinks that they don’t taste weird anymore. I’m sure it’s the drink because there’s no other carbs in the meal and my blood glucose spiked way too much. Does anyone know an easy way to test your drinks for sugar?

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Just ask who is serving you? Certainly in the UK they must have the ingredients for everything they sell you food or drink. There are some 'naturally light' tonics here that I never have as they are high in carbs so I just ask to see the bottle as all the nutritional information has to be on it by law here or ask the person serving and if they don't know they will find out for you.
  • catherineg3
    Options
    I ordered drinks like Diet Coke that I know should be zero calories zero carbs but I think the server screwed up and gave me a drink with sugar. Has only happened mostly at drive thru where I can’t just say to bring me another. A few times in a restaurant when I think it tastes too sweet they’ll bring another without any fuss.
  • KowboyKraka
    KowboyKraka Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My teenage daughter is type 1. This is a cool little hack. Thanks for the info.
  • catherineg3
    Options
    Thanks. That is just what I need
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My coworker got a blood glucose bump when he had a diet drink but he hasn't figured out which one it was yet. Perhaps certain artificial sweeteners can be the culprit?