Interesting reading

julepige
julepige Posts: 24 Member
Thought i would share this with you all.
https://drjockers.com/ketogenic-diet-vs-atkins-better/

Replies

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,750 Member
    Interesting, but his point that high protein can be detrimental alarms me."Even cancer," he said. Other people say protein is important for muscles and body repair. It's so confusing. What does research say?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I think I've read(or heard.... I'm not reliably right on this) that eating meat may raise your cancer risk by decimal points - I think I heard 0.2% increase.

The WHO has meat listed as a possible cause of cancer, as in they suspect it might do something but there is no evidence to back it up. Right now they use epidemiological studies which showed at slightly increased risk for heavy meat eaters, but those meat eaters were considered to be noncompliers, meaning they were eating meat back when doctors and the government were telling people to avoid it. Non compliers tend to eat lots of sugar, not exercise, smoke, and not buckle up their seat lets either. ;) any evidence is thought to be very weak.

As Nina Teicholz put it, just because the sun comes up around the time that she gets up does not mean that the sun rises because she wakes up. Correlation does not equal causation. :)

Processed meats with nitrates is known to raise colon cancer risk from 5% up to 6%, but I think I read that it is for people who have the equivalent of 4 slices of bacon 4 times a week. I think....
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    The WHO listed meat as a cancer-causing agent based on the studies that did not delineate between processed and unprocessed meat - think of the difference between bacon and a steak. The real cancer causing agent is not the meat itself - it is the nitrates and nitrites that are added to the meat as part of the processing. But, all the media and the anti-meat experts now run around screaming that meat (all kinds of meat) increases the risk of colon cancer by 20% - a big scary number (the same number used by the WHO as well). What they don't tell you is that the 20% number is a 'relative risk' number - the absolute risk is the number that nvmom posted - i.e. lots of processed meat raise the risk from 5.5% to 6.5% in absolute numbers. And even with the processed meats, if you buy processed meats that don't contain the nitrates and nitrites, your 'relative risk' is minimal - I believe on the order of 1-2 %, which raises the absolute risk from 5.5% to 5.55% (or some ridiculously small amount like that).

You have to look at the definition of 'high protein'. I don't think there are any experts who would classify an amount less than 200g per day as 'high protein' - and most people (even on keto), aren't consuming that much protein from meat daily.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    The WHO listed meat as a cancer-causing agent based on the studies that did not delineate between processed and unprocessed meat - think of the difference between bacon and a steak. The real cancer causing agent is not the meat itself - it is the nitrates and nitrites that are added to the meat as part of the processing. But, all the media and the anti-meat experts now run around screaming that meat (all kinds of meat) increases the risk of colon cancer by 20% - a big scary number (the same number used by the WHO as well). What they don't tell you is that the 20% number is a 'relative risk' number - the absolute risk is the number that nvmom posted - i.e. lots of processed meat raise the risk from 5.5% to 6.5% in absolute numbers. And even with the processed meats, if you buy processed meats that don't contain the nitrates and nitrites, your 'relative risk' is minimal - I believe on the order of 1-2 %, which raises the absolute risk from 5.5% to 5.55% (or some ridiculously small amount like that).

You have to look at the definition of 'high protein'. I don't think there are any experts who would classify an amount less than 200g per day as 'high protein' - and most people (even on keto), aren't consuming that much protein from meat daily.

An interesting video by Dr Ken Berry I just saw that has some stats that are very different than what you are showing. Not arguing about the numbers but just thought I would share the link so you can see it. https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qwyjo-NgQsE