Who's getting the Shingles vaccine?

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
The new and improved version is a series of 2 shots. I got the first one yesterday.

Anyone?

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    I've discussed the vaccine with my personal physician. She says go for it. I haven't yet done so.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'd personally rather take AHCC, derived from mushrooms. Kills the HPV virus in over half the cases and the HPV virus, similar to Shingles, is a herpes virus. AHCC is a mushroom derivative from Japan. Boost the immune functions tremendously and is very helpful for cancer patients undergoing chemo to make them feel better. I'm not anti-vax at all, but if I can take something more natural that may do the same, I'm all for it. While I'm not antivax, I do think vaccines have risks for some. There have been quite a few teens die from Gardasil. It's a shame that AHCC is something never considered because Gardasil is such a huge money maker. AHCC is around $60 for a one month supply. Not cheap but not that expensive either. Anyone trying to charge more is ripping people off because only one company in Japan makes all of it in the world.

https://drhoffman.com/podcast/natural-immune-support-part-1/
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Got the first one of the two shot series, but having trouble getting the second. They say I have until September (after which I'd have to repeat the two shot program) but they are also having trouble getting more vaccine. Last time they got a batch in, I made an appointment to get the secound shot. By the time I got in they were out again.

Kinda pissed me off that they didn't save me one since I had the appointment for the sole reason of getting the second shot. Now I have to call every Monday to see if they have received any more.

Makes me wish I'd never been talked into getting the first one by the Doc. My elderly mom got shingles a few years back or I wouldn't have been so easy to convince I needed it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @ Farback - that cracked me up!

@ d-thomas - I'd be ticked off too. That's sad. Seems like an effective vaccine, though.

Good article on the new vaccine versus the old one. Seems like more chance for side effects but way more effective, too.

https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2018-06-15/a-new-shingles-vaccine-prepare-for-harsher-side-effects
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Only side effect I experienced was tje sore arm for a couple of days.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FwzRO5n5jvHH1u%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Had mine Tuesday morning and now, Thursday afternoon, still am not back to myself. Just fatigue and muscle aches - not terrible but not ideal for my lifestyle either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Planning on it, but will take the chance of waiting until next regular 6 month GP visit. I had the old one as soon as I could get it. My mother had moderately severe shingles (only once, thankfully), so I've seen one tough person be laid pretty low by it. I had a very mild case in my 40s, but it's reportedly typically less severe in young'uns in general.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I’d highly recommend getting the shots. I actually got shingles recently. Its been a hellish few weeks, but I finally gave in and saw a doctor. Got a scrip for pregabalin (Lyrica), low dose, for the nerve pain, which has been constant and suprisingly bad. I’ll only use it at night to sleep, and hope to be off it in a hurry.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Finally got my second dose yesterday... but not from the doc who gave me the first shot. Went to a local big name pharmacy.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    cnj3abssyzz3.jpeg
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I don’t think we can get these vaccines in the uk. The GP surgery offers the flu 🤧 vaccine to those of a certain age & Heath issues. I’m going to look into this shingles vaccine.