Ketomojo meter

Has anyone used a glucometer /ketones meter? Is it worth purchasing and how do I know what my range is?

Replies

• PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    If you're doing keto and want to know if you are truly in ketosis then a blood ketone meter is the proper way to test for them. It's the only way you will know for sure what range of carbs you can consume while still staying in ketosis.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    On the other hand, if you are loosing weight, you are not having 'hangry' sugar drop episodes and you know you are keeping your net/total carbs low you will be running on burning fat rather than sugar for a fuel. So it doesn't matter if you are showing excess ketones in your blood or in your pee or not.
    While being in Ketosis is a monitor of this it's really the switch your body does to being 'fat adapted' that counts and actually while it's easy to drop out of ketosis after a higher carb day (or meal in my case!) it's not as easy to stop your body being fat adapted. Once you are 'fat adapted' then that's it's preferred fuel basis and it doesn't change that after a meal or even a day or two even if a ketone measure doesn't show anything.
    However if it interests you then go ahead!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    It is a cool device. You don't have to have one to do this diet though.
  • beautifulchaos135
    beautifulchaos135 Posts: 37 Member
    Thank you everyone!