In The News Today

julepige
julepige Posts: 24 Member
Just read this and thought i will share it with you all.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45195474

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    I've read it: to say that it is tenuous and based on incomplete and potentially utterly erroneous information would be putting it mildly! (IMO!!!)
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    I'll take me chances... :)

So let me think... maybe I should go back on
    Glipizide 8mg a day
    Victoza 2 times a day &
    80 more units of insulin a day

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Based on eating questionnaires which makes any result from the study an absolute crap shoot - eating questionnaires are the most unreliable source of data in a study.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    ...but you get to have bacon, isn't that worth it???

statistically lacto-ovo vegetarians live longer than any other "diet"

I don't even know why something where people guess what they ate and guess portions even counts as a study - that's not really a scientific study, it's more like a 25 year casual interview. Plus, the group of people all enrolled in a study for Atherosclerosis risk, which probably means they have either a diagnosis already, or a family history - this is not really studying the average population. It is interesting that carbs is the variable factor, it sounds like they were expecting it to be fat, but fat didn't matter as much.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I'll continue on with my balance which is in the lchf range. Mostly fish and "above ground" vegetables with eggs, dairy, fruit, meat, nut/seeds/oils, "below ground" vegetables, legumes. None of that (that I can tell) has lead me to being face first into cake, cookies, ice cream, candy, Fritos, Cheetos or Doritos. I became obese with a diet heavy in the latter 7.

Fortunately I've not had to deal with diabetes, pre-diabetes, PCOS, etc. but sure as heck have personally dealt with a pleasure seeking (from food) brain. Had I continued on my previous course I may have found IR and diabetes. Knocks on wood.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Live four years less than type II diabetics? I will bet the study didn't track that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Apparently they also excluded anyone from the study that had heart disease or diabetes.
    Convenient huh?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Apparently they also excluded anyone from the study that had heart disease or diabetes.
    Convenient huh?

I didn't read the article completely but why would excluding those with heart disease or diabetes matter so long as they excluded them in ALL groups? Or did they just exclude them in select groups?
  • julepige
    julepige Posts: 24 Member
    I personally just think is another scaremongering on the loss.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    I read through this as well. For the most part it read like "let's affirm what we already know to be true."