Solo or with spouse/significant other/partner?

Options
13»

Replies

• sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    sykin wrote: »
    Sooooooo, question for you guys doing this with your spouse.

When I started in June, I was doing this solo. My husband cooked, he knew I was doing it and was supportive. In September, he decided to do it as well. Ever since, all I want to do is cheat. Like, I know it's mental, but I struggle now. Feel like I'm dieting, not just changing the way I am eating. I don't know why this is! I never struggled really with this before. But now, I feel like I'm deprived of things because I need to be strong enough to not "cheat" because I don't want HIM to fall off the wagon.

Thoughts? Anyone else struggle with this?

I did in the beginning...and PMS is still a b!tch -I just want to shovel cheetos and cookies in my mouth lol. I've started looking at my diary, and thinking about the foods I "miss"...what ISN'T there that I really want? Like I said, for me, it's Cheetos, and cookies. I can't keto-fy the Cheetos, but the crispy cheese squares are a fair alternate. As for the cookies, Keto-Connect has some pretty good ones; they're not perfect, but it satisfies my craving.

I've also decided that certain days are worth the carbs...Thanksgiving, for example, I am planning on mashed potatoes...I'll make good choices for everything else that day, but the mashed potatoes are happening! Those days, I am pretty much telling myself, IIFYM, then I can have it.

Is there something you are craving, and makes you want to cheat? Maybe we can help you find a workaround? Or is it more the "pressure" of keeping yourself on track so your hubby stays on track?

Popcorn and potatoes were my hard things to give up, then it was ice cream. I've found alternatives to fix my cravings for all of those. I've never really had a sweet tooth (even ice cream, I preferred creamy with fruit over chocolate/caramel/whatevers) but now all I want is chocolate. Today, chocolate chip cookies. I almost ate my protein bar 2 hours earlier than usual just to get the chocolate fix I was craving! I've started looking up some recipes, so I think that's going to be on my list of things to accomplish this week. haha

Moreso, just the general feeling of wanting to cheat is hard for me at the moment. Like, it never bothered me if we'd go out to eat and I'd pick whatever simple dish I could that was keto friendly and I'd be perfectly content watching everyone else at the table eat bread and pasta and all the things I love. But now, we'll talk about what to make for dinner and I can't help but suddenly want nothing but garlic bread with whatever we're making. I've not "cheated" yet with breads. I feel like that would put me over the edge and I'd have a hard time getting back up. LOL

I do have cheat days planned with my husband already - we're both going to enjoy the best thin crust pizza of our lives this Saturday night at a concert we're going to. And then I already made it clear I will not be eating keto on Thanksgiving, but that's mostly for the sweet potatoes & marshmallows, and the pumpkin pie. I think I need to make sure I just plan days/moments where I allow myself a bit of something, otherwise I'll completely fall off and not get back on again.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cravings are associated with iron deficiency, so maybe a nice big steak would help to ward that away????

Also, there's a chicken/parmesan keto pizza crust recipe out there that is totally amazing and very filling as well as not being too complicated to make.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @tcunbeliever thank you for that insight; that might explain why i couldn't leave the pecan pie m&ms alone (in addition to lacking willpower). i will have to try the chicken/parmesan pizza crust...that sounds to die for. do you use it alone or do you put additional toppings on it?
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice is actually a very passable keto friendly version of fried rice.

They do make low carb tortillas, but I haven't found any that I really like, so I usually just eat the toppings in lettuce, or if I have the carb room I'll just overload the tortilla so I can be full even while only eating one of the tortilla wraps.

A lot of asian and middle eastern is already keto as long as you avoid the rice and bread items.

I made stuffed bell peppers a while back and instead of rice I used cauliflower rice, and a couple weeks ago I made a couple cauliflower crust pizzas that came out amazing. I honestly think I prefer the cauliflower rice in the bell peppers to regular rice. As for the tortillas it's not really a big thing for me. Traditional tacos are one of my favorite foods but it's the meats that I love so as long as I can have the carnitas or barbacoa or lengua I'm fine. Last time we did tacos I just did mine as a taco salad on a huge bed of diced romaine lettuce. Not traditional but it worked.

I will have to figure out more Middle Eastern/Asian recipes one of these days but I've dialed back the cooking quite a bit recently and have been keeping things fairly simple.
  • BulletProofSkim
    BulletProofSkim Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Solo. I cook separate meals for my teenage daughter, but she does share some of my keto meals. She is very supportive though, no issues there.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    @zanyterp I top the "crust" just like any other pizza...though, since it has kind of a chicken flavor I have to say I like it best with a white pizza kind of sauce rather than the traditional red...my husband and kids like it better with the red sauce.

This is the recipe I used:

https://ketoconnect.net/no-carb-pizza/

I want to say the only change I made was to add some extra seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, tarragon) and I baked the crust alone like 15 min instead of 10...but I cook on stoneware, so that might be because of the pan I'm using...I just didn't find it to get crispy enough with just 10 min in the first bake.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    thank you, @tcunbeliever
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice is actually a very passable keto friendly version of fried rice.

They do make low carb tortillas, but I haven't found any that I really like, so I usually just eat the toppings in lettuce, or if I have the carb room I'll just overload the tortilla so I can be full even while only eating one of the tortilla wraps.

A lot of asian and middle eastern is already keto as long as you avoid the rice and bread items.

I made stuffed bell peppers a while back and instead of rice I used cauliflower rice, and a couple weeks ago I made a couple cauliflower crust pizzas that came out amazing. I honestly think I prefer the cauliflower rice in the bell peppers to regular rice. As for the tortillas it's not really a big thing for me. Traditional tacos are one of my favorite foods but it's the meats that I love so as long as I can have the carnitas or barbacoa or lengua I'm fine. Last time we did tacos I just did mine as a taco salad on a huge bed of diced romaine lettuce. Not traditional but it worked.

I will have to figure out more Middle Eastern/Asian recipes one of these days but I've dialed back the cooking quite a bit recently and have been keeping things fairly simple.

@shelbydodgeguy - I have been craving barbacoa for a bit now! And not a lot of people like lengua... love it! Do you like the cueritos that come with the carnitas as well?
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @shelbydodgeguy - I have been craving barbacoa for a bit now! And not a lot of people like lengua... love it! Do you like the cueritos that come with the carnitas as well?

Oh yeah! And lengua is a favorite!

I also find tacos de buche quite tasty if you don't mind the texture. I love menudo and pozole as well.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My gf knows I am doing this - We eat similar meals but I will have more veggies and maybe a cheese sauce, while she has carbs. Works ok so far.
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Oh yeah! And lengua is a favorite!

I also find tacos de buche quite tasty if you don't mind the texture. I love menudo and pozole as well.

@shelbydodgeguy Can't say I have had the buche but I do love me some tripitas... and we are getting ready for the menudo and pozole weather! Chicago is getting chilly!