(LTL) Tuesday 8/21/2018

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Friday - misterhub (Greg)

Today's topic: Hydration
Water is a very important part of life this is an example of what your intake should be.

“It depends on your size and weight, and also on your activity level and where you live,” Nessler says. “In general, you should try to drink between half an ounce and an ounce of water for each pound you weigh, every day.” For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, that would be 75 to 150 ounces of water a day”
I was just in the hospital and they put a hydration fluid IV on. I ask if I was dehydrated and they told me over 90% patients are dehydrated.

(1) Do you feel you are consuming enough water to stay hydrated, and how do you manage to get there?
(2) Do you feel water gives you energy?

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    (1) Do you feel you are consuming enough water to stay hydrated, and how do you manage to get there?

I don’t drink enough probably about 3 days a wk. On my good days this is how I get my water intake.

I start with 16 o.z water at breakfast. I’m a big coffee drinker ( decaf ) at least 30 oz. Sugar free packet of kool- ade mixed into a 16 oz water = 62 oz. a day.

I know if I don’t drink when I feel thirsty and tired I get run down. My answer is yes.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Most days, yes, although I don't set a numeric target. ~15 years ago, I was in the ER three times within a week due to kidney stones. 'Nuf said!

No--I mean yes if I'm hot and parched but in the normal day-to-day, I can't say I think it does. I know it's good for me (see above) and I know it can help fill me up so I don't load up on food so I make a point to drink it often. But I really can't say I'm aware that it gives me energy on a regular basis.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    As I stated in a different thread, water is my go-to drink. I like water, and I always have it with me. Other than a cup of of coffee or tea, and the occasional iced tea, water simply is what I drink. So, I am pretty sure I get enough.

I am not sure it gives me much in the way of energy.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much I drink of fluids. Some days I could do more.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    I live in Key West. I play Pickleball and fish on the party boat. I drink a lot of water. I doubt that it’s enough.

If you don’t mind a digression, an unexplored and I think under appreciated issue-

Water and stress.

I was under incredible pressure at work. Something I noticed was that if I wanted to keep my wits about me, I needed plenty of water. I stared buying the biggest bottles that had at the snack bar 2 or 3 at a time. Made a big difference.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot! Usually at least 16 oz before I leave the house, I always take another bottle with me, pour a glass when I get home (and keep refilling it) and drink at least 16 oz with lunch and dinner. My consumption slows after dinner to a total of 16 oz all evening. This is a habit I haven't lost, thank goodness!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options

1. Yes because I got into the habit of choosing water as replacing Diet Coke.
    Water is healthy and cheap LoL. Since being on Maintenance I may not drink as much as when I was trying to lose but still drinking a lot.

2. Not energy but can be refreshing with ice cold. I use the little packets of SF lemonade and that is my treat.