Down, then up in week 3

tmlong44
tmlong44 Posts: 3 Member
I'm in week 3 on keto. I've been faithful to keeping under 20g net crabs and within my calories. Saw a great 8.6 lb loss on week one, and have since gained back 4 lb. Just curious if others have seen a similar issue? Trying not to be a slave to the scale, and 5 lbs in 3 weeks is still good, but I'd like to see a more downward trend.

Replies

• Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    I personally have not had the same issue, but I've read about it and it's not uncommon. You're right to focus on the downward trend :)
    I would suggest double checking your macros, just to see If your calories are off.

I use this calculator keto-calculator.ankerl.com set a 20% deficit and activity level to sedentary.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    It happened to me and is nothing to worry about. Week one is a major water weight drop time in just about any diet/exercise scenario and really should just be ignored. The real progress starts in week two forward and the gain back could just be your body retaining back some fluids especially if you are lifting etc.

The goal is to get your body to be fat adapted as great things happen at that point (7 weeks for me). Try not to be obsessed with the scale as it does a poor job of telling the true story. If you have access to an advanced body scanner like a Fit 3D I'd suggest using them. Last thing you want is to be losing lean mass when you think its fat which happens at times on Keto.
  • AgaeCan
    AgaeCan Posts: 5 Member
    The same thing has happened to me. For whatever reason, during week 2 & 3, I gained almost half of the weight I lost the 1st week. I slightly adjusted my micro (added a little more protein and reduced carb); I also added more weight lifting. I've learned that each person is different when it comes to adjusting macros. What works for one may not work for another. I would encourage you not to be discouraged.

Oh, the other interesting thing that happened during week 2 & 3 was although the scale showed I was gaining, my clothes were fitting losely. So, I keep on going. Week 5 & 6, which are the last 2 weeks, I'm steadily losing. Stay strong!
  • tmlong44
    qweck3 wrote: »
    It happened to me and is nothing to worry about. Week one is a major water weight drop time in just about any diet/exercise scenario and really should just be ignored. The real progress starts in week two forward and the gain back could just be your body retaining back some fluids especially if you are lifting etc.

The goal is to get your body to be fat adapted as great things happen at that point (7 weeks for me). Try not to be obsessed with the scale as it does a poor job of telling the true story. If you have access to an advanced body scanner like a Fit 3D I'd suggest using them. Last thing you want is to be losing lean mass when you think its fat which happens at times on Keto.

Really helpful to hear that things started to happen around week 7 for you. I wasn't sure if that since I hit week 3 and not much movement if I was doing something wrong I couldn't figure out or if perhaps it just takes my body more time. Like all things weight loss, I think I'm just on the slower path.
  • tmlong44
    agae7628 wrote: »
    The same thing has happened to me. For whatever reason, during week 2 & 3, I gained almost half of the weight I lost the 1st week. I slightly adjusted my micro (added a little more protein and reduced carb); I also added more weight lifting. I've learned that each person is different when it comes to adjusting macros. What works for one may not work for another. I would encourage you not to be discouraged.

Oh, the other interesting thing that happened during week 2 & 3 was although the scale showed I was gaining, my clothes were fitting losely. So, I keep on going. Week 5 & 6, which are the last 2 weeks, I'm steadily losing. Stay strong!

Very helpful and glad to hear I'm not alone. I should do measurements too I suppose. Great to hear that weeks 5 and 6 are going well for you!
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    If it makes you feel any better, I lost 10, gained 5, and lost 5
    I'm starting week 3 as well; hopefully it is "just" water loss like other are indicating and that we are in the process of becoming fat adapted and starting to hit where we can lose consistently
  • Kerschel
    Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
    qweck3: how did you know when you were fat adapted? That is my main goal right now.
  • Kerschel
    Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
    I lost so slowly at first, i thought I must be doing something wrong. But, in the end, I show a loss of about a pound a week on average, so I'm good with that. Bodies differ. And when the scale register down a couple pounds, it inevitably goes up 1 the next day. Water content in the body, I figure.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    After about a month I could finally run 4 miles without walking. I am hoping that I am becoming fat adapted but running energy is just okay right now.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    A few things will let you know you have made the full switch to being fat adapted.

All day energy. No post lunch crash etc.
    No desire for carbs. Seriously, none at all. Even the replacement urge to eat fats like cheese drops a lot.
    You don't think about food and at times have to force yourself to eat. This happens mostly at dinner for me. Breakfast I'm roaring to eat after fasting for hours during sleep.
    After a long period of the scale itself being slow to not moving is starts dropping FAST out of nowhere. The last 3 days I've lost 4 pounds doing nothing I wasn't doing before for instance.
    Clothes start to fall off of the body with inches coming off.
    Workouts almost have no limit.