Living the Life Style Tues. 8/26/201

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Friday - misterhub (Greg)

Today's topic: Past and Present
Do you think living in the present is more Challenging than in the past?

When I was younger my challenges in weight loss was easier than today. I was able to walk for hrs. and exercise even at my heaviest. Today walking and exercise are a challenge with the aches and pains I have but not giving up.
As challenges in general I think I handle them with winning results as I did in the past.
My biggest challenge right now is dealing with DW’S health issues which are unbearable for her. I try to stay com so I can be supportive for her and I think I am doing a good job with that.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    If I only knew then what I know now.

At a critical point I think I would have been better served focusing on fitness rather than the scale. I don’t really have an answer for ruminating over perceived long ago missteps. I get the idea that if I could find an answer my self help book would sell a billion copies.

Both DW and I have had bad run ins with Drs. And aches and pains can soak up a lot of energy. All that said, the present is going extremely well. I think weight loss takes place mostly in our heads.
    I just wasn’t ready until I was ready. Hope that makes some sort of sense.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,028 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Some things I could handle in the past better especially weight loss. I handled exercise much better in the past but at a younger age I didn't have the issues I have as an elder person. All that being said I think I'm handling the present very well. I'm busier than I was as a younger person in every aspect of life. Living in the present is more challenging simply be cause circumstances are way more different than in the past.

Everyday can bring in new challenges but really it's how we deal with those challenges everyday that's more important than the challenge(s) themselves.

SW 400.8
    CW 340.0😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

60.8 lbs Total lost
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    It seems, I had more resolve in the past, than I do now, in the present. Of course, that may just be that my challenges have become tougher with age. But, a lot of it, I think, is my attitude can be less focused than it has been in the past. I am working on that, especially via my meditation practice. When I meditate regularly, my focus increases. I am working on the resolve part.

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Do you think living in the present is more Challenging than in the past?

No, I really don't. I still remember my aches and pains, lack of energy and poor (infrequent) doctor check-ups from before I started WW and actively working to manage my weight. Along with the outward symptoms, I was often inwardly embarassed at myself and often lacked confidence. I was very self-conscious, even though "I carried my weight well".

Weight loss was not some sort of cure-all for every problem I had, but it has helped me find and sustain more energy and vitality. There's definitely more spring in my step just as a result of weighing considerably less. The aches and pains are largely gone, despite the fact that I'm four years older. My check-ups do not make me cringe anymore, knowing the doctor's going to give me 'the lecture' and in fact, my bloodwork shows me to be very healthy, a reversal of the trend prior to weight loss. I'm much better interacting with others and feel more confident than I did when I was fatter.

I accept and prefer the tradeoffs of today over the food and drink choices I used to make. So, I'll make those tradeoffs for one more day...
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    No I don't because my healthier habits are so ingrained now. It doesn't even cross my mind to skip weighing/measuring my food when I'm at home nor to avoid the scale because I fear what the number will be.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options
    Doing better in general with my weight and diet lifestyle. Yes of course I can't do some epic things like 200 mile one day bike rides and more. I just don't dwell on it too much . I was active but overweight and ballooned up to to over 200 LB.