Another read for you "Why i will never go keto again "

julepige
julepige Posts: 24 Member
Thought i will share this one with you all.
https://thefithousewife.com/2018/05/why-ill-never-go-keto-again/
All i can say is maybe she should have been more relaxed about her intake of carbs, i know i am.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Other than finding it annoying that she uses "keto" and "low carb" both in the article to describe her eating, it was fine. Keto is not for everyone. I can totally relate to not losing weight on keto, if I were doing it to lose weight I would have quit months ago. It is a miracle migraine cure for me, and I'm hoping that in another year I can go back to low carb which was so much easier!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't even know where to start with the inconsistencies and out right false information in that blog... I will address a few of the more blatant issues

1. Gluconeogenesis is a completely demand driven process, which means that the body will only resort to it if there is a need to convert protein to glucose. If a person is eating even a small amount of carbs, the body should have enough glucose to satisfy those body parts where glucose is essential and no protein will be converted to glucose.
    2. Body fat depletion comes from being in a deficit regardless of the method chosen to create that deficit
    3. She did not gain weight because her hormones tanked, she gained weight because she was eating too much
    4. Constipation - I have never experienced this eating keto (or full on carnivore for that matter). If you are eating lots of leafy greens, you should be getting more than enough fiber to solve this issue.
    5. Muscle loss - the study she quotes followed 6 men for 11 days... hardly a shining example to support her point
    6. Mineral deficiencies - look up the USDA values for most animal protein sources and all of the minerals that a body needs can be obtained form these sources. You don't see the info on packaging because it is not required to be there.
    7. Cholesterol - levels are usually high when the keto option is first started and especially when weight loss is being achieved - stands to reason since we are dumping lipids from the fat cells into the blood stream to create energy from them - but has a tendency to level out and decrease when we become weight-stable.

Just my 2 cents worth and I will step down from the soap box now... :smile:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I don't even know where to start with the inconsistencies and out right false information in that blog... I will address a few of the more blatant issues

1. Gluconeogenesis is a completely demand driven process, which means that the body will only resort to it if there is a need to convert protein to glucose. If a person is eating even a small amount of carbs, the body should have enough glucose to satisfy those body parts where glucose is essential and no protein will be converted to glucose.
    2. Body fat depletion comes from being in a deficit regardless of the method chosen to create that deficit
    3. She did not gain weight because her hormones tanked, she gained weight because she was eating too much
    4. Constipation - I have never experienced this eating keto (or full on carnivore for that matter). If you are eating lots of leafy greens, you should be getting more than enough fiber to solve this issue.
    5. Muscle loss - the study she quotes followed 6 men for 11 days... hardly a shining example to support her point
    6. Mineral deficiencies - look up the USDA values for most animal protein sources and all of the minerals that a body needs can be obtained form these sources. You don't see the info on packaging because it is not required to be there.
    7. Cholesterol - levels are usually high when the keto option is first started and especially when weight loss is being achieved - stands to reason since we are dumping lipids from the fat cells into the blood stream to create energy from them - but has a tendency to level out and decrease when we become weight-stable.

wrt: constipation
    If she wasn't drinking enough, plus not supplementing her electrolytes properly, that could have been a major contributor. Otherwise, the high fat should have kept things moving. Since there's less fiber, there's less bulk, but pooping less is not bad. It's pooping less to the point of painful discomfort. And again, hydration, sodium, and magnesium play as much into that as anything.

And the muscle loss bit: rofl...mental rofl of course. I can't be spared the effort of actually bothering over her nonsense.
    And there was a lot of nonsense. :smirk:

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited August 2018
    Like the Blogger stated she has a right to her opinion but I think she really went about a lot of things wrong. I see a lot of people trying to stick to this "one size" fits all formula which may or may not work depending on the individual. I think this blogger did just that, the obvious one for me was she was probably eating way to much fat trying to stay in some percentage instead of "listening to her body". The constipation thing can be remedied many different ways and I haven't experienced it the entire time being low carb so something might be amiss here, not enough fiberous veggies, to much cheese, not enough exercise? who knows.

Keto and low carb may not be for everyone, I know I lost a lot of weight, put on muscle mass, decreased my bad cholesterol and triglycerides and I am not strict at all, I do what feels right and puts me on a better path health-wise. I don't shy away from high fat meals but I don't eat them every day either, lean protein and greens with a treat once in a blue moon is much more typical for me.

When I read articles like this I often wonder if the authors are just clueless or they a deliberately going down a path that will fail so they can write an interesting article based on some popular topic. Low carb is not a fad in my opinion if its been noted in history since the late 1700s.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Based on looking at her website it appears she admittedly has a long history of trying multiple diets in her effort to lose her excess 90 pounds. By her own admission she became too thin, had amenorrhea and was orthorexic. I'll guess the primary purpose of her blog/website is to help others find their way to a "healthy relationship with food".

She's also blogged about why not to do Whole 30, The 21 Day fix, etc. She claims Weight Watchers gave her an eating disorder in one of her blogs. Her foundation is: Diets Don't Work so don't become a slave to them thinking it will be the one true way. She is definitely a low carber based on the recipes she shares. :)

I'm neither yea or nay to the site. "Why I'll Never Go Keto Again" is just one of her many experiences. She has found what works for her physically, biologically, mentally, psychologically, financially, ;) etc. She's found her talking point.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

wrt: constipation
    If she wasn't drinking enough, plus not supplementing her electrolytes properly, that could have been a major contributor. Otherwise, the high fat should have kept things moving. Since there's less fiber, there's less bulk, but pooping less is not bad. It's pooping less to the point of painful discomfort. And again, hydration, sodium, and magnesium play as much into that as anything.

And the muscle loss bit: rofl...mental rofl of course. I can't be spared the effort of actually bothering over her nonsense.
    And there was a lot of nonsense. :smirk:

Didn't think about it that way on the constipation... I have had conversations with peeps that believe that if you aren't going multiple times a day ( :neutral: ) then you must be constipated and you need to start chugging laxatives. Personally, if I go every other day w/o struggling, I consider it a win (esp. when I eat full carnivore).